Dura ace 9100 FD won't clear 105 crank arms?
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    333

    Dura ace 9100 FD won't clear 105 crank arms?

    So I had my LBS install a 9100 front derailleur on my 105-equipped Emonda. When fully shifted to the big ring, there is barely 1mm of clearance between the crank arm and the derailleur. Is there some kind of incompatibility between the two or did they simply mess up the adjustment? If so, do I simply backup up the H screw to correct it?

    Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

  2. #2
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,381
    Sounds like they're not-so-competent. No way on earth I can tell you how to fix it at this point. Maybe if you hold your bike up to the internet I can get a look at it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Sounds like they're not-so-competent. No way on earth I can tell you how to fix it at this point. Maybe if you hold your bike up to the internet I can get a look at it.
    Yeah, new shop I've never been to before and so far I'm not impressed.

    So I guess that's your way of saying that's not enough clearance... By backing up the high limit, I can increase it to almost 2mm without messing up the shifting from small to big ring.
    Without really knowing much about FD adjustment, I just can't see anything else that would increase this space without also messing up the shifting, since anything that moves the cage closer to the frame would also change the way it shifts?

    Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

  4. #4
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,381
    Shift it into big/big, trim it, then look at the clearance between the inside of the cage and the chain. You should have a tiny bit. You will set the high limit cross-chained big/big using the inside of the cage, not the normal way. Then look at the 2 lines that should meet up to indicate if the tension is correct.
    When set up correctly going from big ring/high gear position you'll get a mm or 2 movement when you trim, then the shift to the small ring, then another 4mm or so when you go full trim.

    ETA: You said new shop for you. I still see these derailleurs come in that are completely f'd up. It's amazing that so many mechanics will completely ignore the instructions. One of our guys did exactly that when they first came out. He says 'damn, these new front derailleurs shift pretty well'. I looked at it and said 'yeah, even better when you do it right'.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Shift it into big/big, trim it, then look at the clearance between the inside of the cage and the chain. You should have a tiny bit. You will set the high limit cross-chained big/big using the inside of the cage, not the normal way. Then look at the 2 lines that should meet up to indicate if the tension is correct.
    When set up correctly going from big ring/high gear position you'll get a mm or 2 movement when you trim, then the shift to the small ring, then another 4mm or so when you go full trim.

    ETA: You said new shop for you. I still see these derailleurs come in that are completely f'd up. It's amazing that so many mechanics will completely ignore the instructions. One of our guys did exactly that when they first came out. He says 'damn, these new front derailleurs shift pretty well'. I looked at it and said 'yeah, even better when you do it right'.
    Thanks, very helpful and appreciated.
    I've watched a video to make sure I understood correctly - there was actually two lines drawn on the derailleur, which I can't see on mine. But there are two grooves (circled in red), I guess they serve the same purpose?

    This picture was taken prior to any adjustments. Am I crazy to think that the clearance (in blue) is too tight?

    Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

  6. #6
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,381
    It's close but if it clears the crank arm it's fine. It does look like maybe they overshot lining up the 2 lines a bit. Does the chain rub the inside of the cage in big/big?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    It's close but if it clears the crank arm it's fine. It does look like maybe they overshot lining up the 2 lines a bit. Does the chain rub the inside of the cage in big/big?
    Veeery slightly

    Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

  8. #8
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,381
    Then you need to turn the high limit til there is .5mm clearance. That will give you that much more clearance between the cage and the crank arm.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Similar Threads

  1. shimano dura ace 9100 series(mechanical with hydro disc support)
    By Trek_5200 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-25-2016, 01:19 AM
  2. Shimano Dura Ace 9100 wheelset specs?
    By aclinjury in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-21-2016, 05:20 AM
  3. Dura Ace 9100
    By aruyt in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 06-30-2016, 07:29 PM
  4. Dura-Ace 9100 12 Speed
    By masi85 in forum Shimano
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-13-2014, 03:08 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2009, 12:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.