Dura ace 9100 FD won't clear 105 crank arms?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014

Dura ace 9100 FD won't clear 105 crank arms?

So I had my LBS install a 9100 front derailleur on my 105-equipped Emonda. When fully shifted to the big ring, there is barely 1mm of clearance between the crank arm and the derailleur. Is there some kind of incompatibility between the two or did they simply mess up the adjustment? If so, do I simply backup up the H screw to correct it?

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Sounds like they're not-so-competent. No way on earth I can tell you how to fix it at this point. Maybe if you hold your bike up to the internet I can get a look at it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Sounds like they're not-so-competent. No way on earth I can tell you how to fix it at this point. Maybe if you hold your bike up to the internet I can get a look at it.
    Yeah, new shop I've never been to before and so far I'm not impressed.

So I guess that's your way of saying that's not enough clearance... By backing up the high limit, I can increase it to almost 2mm without messing up the shifting from small to big ring.
    Without really knowing much about FD adjustment, I just can't see anything else that would increase this space without also messing up the shifting, since anything that moves the cage closer to the frame would also change the way it shifts?

Shift it into big/big, trim it, then look at the clearance between the inside of the cage and the chain. You should have a tiny bit. You will set the high limit cross-chained big/big using the inside of the cage, not the normal way. Then look at the 2 lines that should meet up to indicate if the tension is correct.
    When set up correctly going from big ring/high gear position you'll get a mm or 2 movement when you trim, then the shift to the small ring, then another 4mm or so when you go full trim.

ETA: You said new shop for you. I still see these derailleurs come in that are completely f'd up. It's amazing that so many mechanics will completely ignore the instructions. One of our guys did exactly that when they first came out. He says 'damn, these new front derailleurs shift pretty well'. I looked at it and said 'yeah, even better when you do it right'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Shift it into big/big, trim it, then look at the clearance between the inside of the cage and the chain. You should have a tiny bit. You will set the high limit cross-chained big/big using the inside of the cage, not the normal way. Then look at the 2 lines that should meet up to indicate if the tension is correct.
    When set up correctly going from big ring/high gear position you'll get a mm or 2 movement when you trim, then the shift to the small ring, then another 4mm or so when you go full trim.

ETA: You said new shop for you. I still see these derailleurs come in that are completely f'd up. It's amazing that so many mechanics will completely ignore the instructions. One of our guys did exactly that when they first came out. He says 'damn, these new front derailleurs shift pretty well'. I looked at it and said 'yeah, even better when you do it right'.
    Thanks, very helpful and appreciated.
    I've watched a video to make sure I understood correctly - there was actually two lines drawn on the derailleur, which I can't see on mine. But there are two grooves (circled in red), I guess they serve the same purpose?

This picture was taken prior to any adjustments. Am I crazy to think that the clearance (in blue) is too tight?

It's close but if it clears the crank arm it's fine. It does look like maybe they overshot lining up the 2 lines a bit. Does the chain rub the inside of the cage in big/big?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    It's close but if it clears the crank arm it's fine. It does look like maybe they overshot lining up the 2 lines a bit. Does the chain rub the inside of the cage in big/big?
    Veeery slightly

Then you need to turn the high limit til there is .5mm clearance. That will give you that much more clearance between the cage and the crank arm.