Dura Ace 9100 shifters chewing up cables same as 9000 - Gutted after $$ upgrade
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    private
    Sep 2013

Dura Ace 9100 shifters chewing up cables same as 9000 - Gutted after $$ upgrade

I am completely gutted . My 7 month use 9100 just chewed up a derailleur cable Same fault as 9000 , also know as "that cable-breaking-in-the-shifter thing" , and Shimano also started waranteing shifters , replacing with 9001.

I purchased a complete 9100 brake, shifter and derailleur mini group kits. After 7 months use ONLY the rear bird nested in side the rear (right side shifter) . Bike shop mechanic manged to get it out BUT the changer is now intermittently miss firing , wont drop down when when flicking the inner leaver , nothing happens , need several attempts . I suspect its damaged

Also , the dura ace cable polymer coating started to fall off after 5 months , now clogging up outer housing , its like a snake has shed its skin , the skin wont fall off , all bunched up in knots, more prevalent on brake inner cables

Super frustrated as I spent big $$$ to fix the 9000 faulting, now this S*** / cost to endure . I won't go into the rear derailleur known problem with noise in big chain ring that drives a cyclist crazy nuts . We cycle to be at one with nature.. not have to listen to a rattly fan in the back

What do you do >?

please SHIMANO can you make a groups set that works better than 7800? and without faults and costly cable replacements every 6-7 months. AKA substandard ****?
    Last edited by 1synergy; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:10 AM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Get over it...they've been breaking cables forever and Shimano probably won't fix it anytime soon. It's crazy easy to get the broken end of the cable out of the newer shifters, your mechanic should have been able to get any remaining pieces out. Of course it happens on the rear more often...you shift much more often in the rear, probably 30-50:1. Don't have the cable replaced w/ polymer or any other coated cable, used regular stainless. Now you know how often you'll have to replace them before they fray & break. D/A and Ultegra are race level parts, they will require maintenance to keep them working properly.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    you shift much more often in the rear, probably 30-50:1.
    I average around 5 front to 330 rear on a 1.5 hour loop I take fairly often with about 1200 feet of ascent. Of course the terrain and gearing will move the results one way or another.

If you can't stand the frequency of cables braking, Di2 would have been the better option for you. Or learn to change them yourself - it's really not that hard if you are mechanically inclined. and take your time.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Banned forever.....or not
    How many miles???? Not sure why they would break if you changed them every 5000 miles.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    How many miles???? Not sure why they would break if you changed them every 5000 miles.
    People regularly have problems between 1500-2500miles.

[REDACTED]
    Yup. I change my rear cable every 2000 miles whether it needs it or not. Much easier than fishing out broken pieces of wire inside the shifter.

This problem started happening with Shimano shifters since the generation where the shifter cable was routed under the bar tape.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Had a guy on a gravel grinder in May with a barely 2 month old Salsa. He had to take a 22-speed Ultegra bike and make it a 2-speed in the field less than half-way through the ride. It was ludicrous.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Banned forever.....or not
    Wow....I'm still using 7800. I guess the "new and improved" under that bar tape cables and housing has it's drawbacks. I guess that all those bends equal more friction. I've often wondered why the housing for the new shifters costs so much more than the old SP40...(ouch, changing your cables four times a year would really suck)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

[REDACTED]
    Wow....I'm still using 7800. I guess the "new and improved" under that bar tape cables and housing has it's drawbacks.
    To say the least! That happens when you trade functionality for aesthetics.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    It is all about implementation.

Do you hear legions of SRAM and Campagnolo complaining about cable-snapped-in-the-shifter syndrome?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    It is all about implementation.

Do you hear legions of SRAM and Campagnolo complaining about cable-snapped-in-the-shifter syndrome?
    Point taken. One has to wonder why Shimano is on their third generation on under the handlebar cabling shifters and haven't taken care of this problem yet. I guess it hasn't hit them in the $$$ yet.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1synergy View Post
    After 7 months use ONLY the rear bird nested in side the rear
    Time is irrelevant. How many miles?

There is an aerodynamic benefit of removing the exposed cables so it's not just aesthetics. And of course.... SRAM does it without issues.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    There is an aerodynamic benefit of removing the exposed cables so it's not just aesthetics. And of course.... SRAM does it without issues.
    Hahaha! Really? How much do two cable housings contribute to wind resistance?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 1synergy View Post
    I am completely gutted . My 7 month use 9100 just chewed up a derailleur cable Same fault as 9000 , also know as "that cable-breaking-in-the-shifter thing" , and Shimano also started waranteing shifters , replacing with 9001.

I purchased a complete 9100 brake, shifter and derailleur mini group kits. After 7 months use ONLY the rear bird nested in side the rear (right side shifter) . Bike shop mechanic manged to get it out BUT the changer is now intermittently miss firing , wont drop down when when flicking the inner leaver , nothing happens , need several attempts . I suspect its damaged

Also , the dura ace cable polymer coating started to fall off after 5 months , now clogging up outer housing , its like a snake has shed its skin , the skin wont fall off , all bunched up in knots, more prevalent on brake inner cables

Super frustrated as I spent big $$$ to fix the 9000 faulting, now this S*** / cost to endure . I won't go into the rear derailleur known problem with noise in big chain ring that drives a cyclist crazy nuts . We cycle to be at one with nature.. not have to listen to a rattly fan in the back

What do you do >?

please SHIMANO can you make a groups set that works better than 7800? and without faults and costly cable replacements every 6-7 months. AKA substandard ****?
    i change my cables ever 2-2.5k. Problem solved

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Wow....I'm still using 7800. I guess the "new and improved" under that bar tape cables and housing has it's drawbacks. I guess that all those bends equal more friction. I've often wondered why the housing for the new shifters costs so much more than the old SP40...(ouch, changing your cables four times a year would really suck)
    I imagine that contributes. But I'm guessing in a lot of cases people getting less miles out of newer groups are also using not so great internally routed frames and were not back when they had 7800 or prior.

No good reason for it happening much quicker than campy or sram (from what I've heard).

But it's really no big deal to just treat cables as a swear item and replace them when needed. I do it when I replace my chain. I definitely don't need to do it that soon but I don't use a bike computer so that's what I use to measure how long it's been.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I imagine that contributes. But I'm guessing in a lot of cases people getting less miles out of newer groups are also using not so great internally routed frames and were not back when they had 7800 or prior.

No good reason for it happening much quicker than campy or sram (from what I've heard).

But it's really no big deal to just treat cables as a swear item and replace them when needed. I do it when I replace my chain. I definitely don't need to do it that soon but I don't use a bike computer so that's what I use to measure how long it's been.
    I don't think the routing has anything to do with it. If there were a bunch of really tight curves and they caused enough drag to be a problem then the shifting would absolutely suck on those bikes. The fraying takes place inside the shifter where the cable is wound/unwound around a small round shift drum/gear...apparently just enough smaller than SRAM and Campy that it destroys cables. I see virtually no cables fray anywhere else except for where they take the sharp bend at the rear derailleur after coming out of the housing.
    I definitely agree w/ just treating them as wear items and replacing them before they reach the point of fraying.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The fraying takes place inside the shifter where the cable is wound/unwound around a small round shift drum/gear...apparently just enough smaller than SRAM and Campy that it destroys cables. I see virtually no cables fray anywhere else except for where they take the sharp bend at the rear derailleur after coming out of the housing.
    ^^^ This.
    I've seen dozens of cables fray inside the shifter. I've never seen a cable fray inside a frame or elsewhere.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    ^^^ This.
    I've seen dozens of cables fray inside the shifter. I've never seen a cable fray inside a frame or elsewhere.
    I've never had a frayed Di2 cable........
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I've never had a frayed Di2 cable........
    Me either
    (haven't ever needed to replace cables or adjust a derailleur either)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I don't think the routing has anything to do with it. If there were a bunch of really tight curves and they caused enough drag to be a problem then the shifting would absolutely suck on those bikes. The fraying takes place inside the shifter where the cable is wound/unwound around a small round shift drum/gear...
    And it does suck (from what I've been told by a few people who could never get good shifting on certain internal frames not my own experience)

I know they only fray inside the shifter. But my 'guess' is that needing to pull harder to over come more friction elsewhere would have an impact on that area too because that's where the pulling is happening.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So who told the OP that this issue was resolved with 9100 over the 9000?
    The pull ratio is still the same and I don't believe too much was changed as far as cable routing and size of the shifter.

I would be equally mad at the person who told the OP that 9100 would fix this widely known issue. Well, widely known to everyone except Shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I didn't tell the OP, but did think that the 9100 series shifters were meant to fix this issue?

I've only had this issue twice, once on my Ultegra 6700 shifters on a morning ride, and again later that SAME day on my DA 9000 shifters on a different bike, what are the odds!

edit: now that I think about it, didn't Shimano come out with R9001 shifters to "fix" the cable problem?
    Last edited by TmB123; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:12 PM.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by faulker479 View Post
    So who told the OP that this issue was resolved with 9100 over the 9000?
    The pull ratio is still the same and I don't believe too much was changed as far as cable routing and size of the shifter.

I would be equally mad at the person who told the OP that 9100 would fix this widely known issue. Well, widely known to everyone except Shimano.
    This problem has absolutely NOTHING to do with cable routing, shift ratios or anything else EXCEPT the internal design of the shifter. Please read what CXWrench said in Post #16:

I don't think the routing has anything to do with it. If there were a bunch of really tight curves and they caused enough drag to be a problem then the shifting would absolutely suck on those bikes. The fraying takes place inside the shifter where the cable is wound/unwound around a small round shift drum/gear...apparently just enough smaller than SRAM and Campy that it destroys cables..

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    This problem has absolutely NOTHING to do with cable routing, shift ratios or anything else EXCEPT the internal design of the shifter. Please read what CXWrench said in Post #16:
    I think you are guessing. As am I by thinking bad internal cable routing that requires more force to pull could play a role.

If I remember correctly you have a frame with internal routing and have mentioned chewing up cables in less miles than I've ever heard of it happening to anyone else. Certainly thousands less than myself with external routing and with my shifting habits I doubt you shifting more is a factor. Anecdote.......but........

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I think you are guessing. As am I by thinking bad internal cable routing that requires more force to pull could play a role.

If I remember correctly you have a frame with internal routing and have mentioned chewing up cables in less miles than I've ever heard of it happening to anyone else. Certainly thousands less than myself with external routing and with my shifting habits I doubt you shifting more is a factor. Anecdote.......but........
    Counter point, when I had cable shifting and internal routing I was getting about 7000 miles out of a rear cable on Ultegra 6800 and the thing i did for good life was lube the cable and track at the 90 degree turn entering the shifter. Inside the frame there are no more contact points for the cable than an external design, and if anything there should be less friction because less of the cable is exposed to the elements to drag stuff into the housing and create friction.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast