Dura ace pedal spindle size for extended spindles.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Dura ace pedal spindle size for extended spindles.

Being a bigger dude Iíd like to lengthen the spindles on my Dura-ace 9000 pedals. I canít find anything that says the size. On eBay the pedal spindle extenders say 9/16 but it doesnít say fits Shimano or sram or anything like that just 9/16 cranks. Anyone know if this is the correct size or not?

Rub it............
    It's 9/16
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    It's 9/16
    Perfect. Thank you.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Once you install those you'll never be able to get them off...just so ya know.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Once you install those you'll never be able to get them off...just so ya know.
    Really? Why would you never be able to get them back off? Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
    Really? Why would you never be able to get them back off? Curious.
    Look at your extender. Look at your pedal axle. The D/A axle has no flats on the outside, only an 8mm allen in the back. But you can't get to the back w/ the extender on. The only way to get it off involves screwing up the axle cuz you'll have to hold it somehow...vise, pliers...and they usually don't hold tight enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Look at your extender. Look at your pedal axle. The D/A axle has no flats on the outside, only an 8mm allen in the back. But you can't get to the back w/ the extender on. The only way to get it off involves screwing up the axle cuz you'll have to hold it somehow...vise, pliers...and they usually don't hold tight enough.
    Didnít even cross my mind but you are right. Might have to consider a different pedal if Iím goimg to run extended spindles.

Rub it............
    Didnít even cross my mind but you are right. Might have to consider a different pedal if Iím goimg to run extended spindles.

Speedplay Zero's come in different length spindles. (Right hand side of the link)

SPEEDPLAY : HIGH PERFORMANCE PEDALS
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

[REDACTED]
    Look at your extender. Look at your pedal axle. The D/A axle has no flats on the outside, only an 8mm allen in the back......
    All in search of the Holy Grail of light weight, because those flats weigh so much!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    All in search of the Holy Grail of light weight, because those flats weigh so much!
    Maybe just ease of manufacturing. I've never seen a crankarm that wasn't drilled thru for pedal mounting so no real need for redundancy here.
    Too old to ride plastic

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Maybe just ease of manufacturing. I've never seen a crankarm that wasn't drilled thru for pedal mounting so no real need for redundancy here.
    The need here is ease of install/uninstall. A pedal wrench gives you much better leverage than an Allen wrench.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Being a bigger dude Iíd like to lengthen the spindles on my Dura-ace 9000 pedals. I canít find anything that says the size. On eBay the pedal spindle extenders say 9/16 but it doesnít say fits Shimano or sram or anything like that just 9/16 cranks. Anyone know if this is the correct size or not?
    Just as a historical reference, there used to be two sizes of pedal axles for road bikes - French and English. English pedal threads are 9/16 x 20 and have completely displaced the French size (since the '70s). There's the smaller size for kids bikes (and really low quality department store bikes) and the Blessed Shimano tried to introduce an oversize system in the '80s, but the world has standardized on 9/16".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    The need here is ease of install/uninstall. A pedal wrench gives you much better leverage than an Allen wrench.
    I don't even bother with the pedal wrench unless the pedal demands it, as in no allen socket. I much prefer the allen interface to that of a pedal wrench.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Hollow pedal extenders are fairly easy to track down, allowing one to reach through with an 8mm hex wrench to remove the pedal from the extender.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RHankey View Post
    Hollow pedal extenders are fairly easy to track down, allowing one to reach through with an 8mm hex wrench to remove the pedal from the extender.
    Yes, but 1 or 2 extender manufacturers donít like to do that because that are worried about breakage where the external thread comes up to the body of the extender. Iím not a hard pedaller or a sprinter, so I donít consider it a problem. I had mine drilled out by a friend who owns a machine shop...
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    Yes, but 1 or 2 extender manufacturers donít like to do that because that are worried about breakage where the external thread comes up to the body of the extender. Iím not a hard pedaller or a sprinter, so I donít consider it a problem. I had mine drilled out by a friend who owns a machine shop...
    Extending the effective length of a pedal axle places more stress at the transition of the axle/extender to the crank arm..

I have all the equipment to make parts like pedal extenders in my basement to very high precision but I personally would not drill out any of the solid pedal extenders I've seen over the years without knowing exactly what they were made from and unless they were machined well to start with. The off the shelf hollow pedal extenders I've seen appear to be much better machined, and presumably use better grades of steel than the solid pedal extenders.

"Being a bigger dude..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    If you're up to new pedals, Shimano does make a Dura Ace pedal with a +4mm spindle if that's enough extra length. For me it's just enough to get my size 49s with winter shoe covers enough clearance to not hit the crank arm through a rotation.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    Extending the effective length of a pedal axle places more stress at the transition of the axle/extender to the crank arm..
    Yes, it is where the 9/16 is undercut coming up to the face of the extender. It shows up in the photo.

I have all the equipment to make parts like pedal extenders in my basement to very high precision but I personally would not drill out any of the solid pedal extenders I've seen over the years without knowing exactly what they were made from and unless they were machined well to start with. The off the shelf hollow pedal extenders I've seen appear to be much better machined, and presumably use better grades of steel than the solid pedal extenders.
    Iíve purchased extenders from 2 different companies. They both use stainless, but they donít say which one. If I had to guess, it is probably 304 or 304L as they are readily available and have good corrosion resistance.

Attachment 324398
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    If you're up to new pedals, Shimano does make a Dura Ace pedal with a +4mm spindle if that's enough extra length. For me it's just enough to get my size 49s with winter shoe covers enough clearance to not hit the crank arm through a rotation.
    Already have some Dura-ace 9000 pedals Iíd like to use. Iíve used speedpaly with extended spindles before in the past but for some reason I seem to get numb toes riding those pedals. Not sure if itís because the contact are of the pedal is so small or what. Wouldnít think so as the cleat part of the shoe is as large or larger than a Shimano pedal but speedplays donít work for me. May try some hollow pedal extenders possibly. Just want to find the best ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk