Ergonomics Campy and Shimano
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Ergonomics Campy and Shimano

I have had a DA9 bike for about 4 years now, and I have ridden my new Campy10 bike for about 2 months now. I'm trying to decide which group to put on my new racing bike. I think that the ergonomics are about equal (Easier to move up the cogs on Campy, but easier to move down the cogs on Shimano), and the price isn't an issue. What do other people think about the ergonomics? What about other issues besides ergonomics and price?

Besides, I have a Shimano 9 speed TT bike. If I moved my training and racing bike to Campy 10, how could I use racing wheels with my TT bike? e.g. Campy cassette body on a disc - will it work somehow with a Shimano TT bike?

Also, do many use Campy for their TT bikes? If not, why not?

What about Campy cross bikes?

My main question: Is it difficult to have a stable of bikes with different groupos?

Feb 2004
    I have Campy on my road bikes and I use DA on my TT bike. I did this because DA parts were cheaper, especially the cassette and the bar end shifters. I don't ride the TT bike as much as the road bikes so I was willing to use shimano to save money. Also, my tri spokes are set up for shimano. I only use the tri spokes for my TT bike so switching wheels isn't really an issue to me. I don't see any reason why I would use my Campy compatible Ksyriums on a TT bike so that is not an issue either. I do own a Wheels Manufacturing conversion cassette so I can run any shimano wheel on my Campy equiped bikes. The cassette works fine.

You need to realistically look at your set up and decide if you are really going to use the disc wheel on your road bike. If, for some reason you feel the need to do so, just buy a conversion cassette.

May 2002
    I guess for you it's a toss up. For me personally I can't get my hands to fit the Shimano hoods. I've tried to get used to them for a couple of months but finally switched to Campy.

flinty-eyed moderator
    I run Campy on both my road bike (Record 10) and cross bike (Daytona 10), I like the hoods and the more positive shifting action of Campy and well as the fact you can easily get them rebuilt (right through QBP).

Shimano redid the hoods on the Dura Ace 10 speed grupo, not a surprise seeing how some riders really disliked them. The new ones seem nicer, but still not as good as Campy in my opinion. I like the ease of mixing stuff in campy- with Shimano making the jump to ten speed in Dura Ace it will not be as easy to do so until Ultegra 10 comes out in 2005-6. Finally Dura Ace 10 is in short supply right now.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

make up your mind..

It's not just the different groups, your problem is having one 9 speed bike and one 10 speed.

I would quite using one brand or the other and move on to 10 speed. My preference is Campy. Since you can get a Shimano hub compatible cassette with Campy spacing, converting the TT bike to Campy would only require shifters (bar ends?), a rear derailleur, the conversion cassette and a chain. The cost can be kept lower by using a Centaur or even Veloce rear derailleur, although the best value may be a 2003 Chorus model if you can find one discounted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    No need to change the Shimano crank/chainrings?

Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    It's not just the different groups, your problem is having one 9 speed bike and one 10 speed.

I would quite using one brand or the other and move on to 10 speed. My preference is Campy. Since you can get a Shimano hub compatible cassette with Campy spacing, converting the TT bike to Campy would only require shifters (bar ends?), a rear derailleur, the conversion cassette and a chain. The cost can be kept lower by using a Centaur or even Veloce rear derailleur, although the best value may be a 2003 Chorus model if you can find one discounted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Toss up..

I have '02 Chorus/Record mix on one bike and '99 Ultegra 9 speed on the other. Between the two groups, I prefer Campy, but the Ultegra is still a good group. I don't miss the extra gear with the 9 speed and I prefer the old Ultegra brake hoods, the Campy Ergo brake hoods are smaller and allow for more fussing around to find the perfect positon. I was split between Chorus and D.A. when I bought my new ride, Chrous at that time was $400.00 less than the D.A. group, plus the owner of my shop is a big Campy fan and gave me a very nice price on the group and wheelset. But if I was to go with another bike, I'd probably go with Campy as I just like the way the stuff functions. Replacement parts are pricey though.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

My $.02: Campy, Chorus '03, 10v

Nice, cheaper than DA, better than Ultegra (IMO), more comfortable on the hoods (again, IMO), classic look, works great, mixable w/other Campy, 10v>9v, fewer cables hanging out...all of which are valid reasons, unless YOU like Shimano better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

no, they will work fine...

Shimano 9 speed is so close in chainring spacing that yu could never tell the difference.

steel road, fixie, & MTB

Chorus '03, 10v

yup, that's what i got...Chorus '03, 10v
    but where do i find a good price on a veloche 10 cassette? (for 2nd wheel set)
    Last edited by TrailNut; 06-22-2004 at 11:36 AM.
    Viner Pro Team Dedacciai EOM 16.5 light steel Campy 2x10.
    "The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." - Thucydides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004