Feedback on FSA full speed ahead carbon seat post

Mar 2004

Feedback on FSA full speed ahead carbon seat post

Hello,
    Well my USE Alien carbon post let me down after the 4th ride...the interface between the carbon shaft and the clamp mechanism started to creak every time I sat down and pedal. The noise went away when I stand up. So I went and got myself an FSA Carbon seat post. The post has a very nice finish with locos under clear coat so the loco is not falling off like the USE post. However, the post is slipping like mad. Every 2 miles or so on the first 16 miles ride I have to stop and readjust the post. So far I took the post off and lightly buff out the clear coat and clean off with alcohol. I haven't ride yet after the adjustment. Ah, I have a Look KG461 which has a weird claming mechanism but does the job on the USE post after the 2nd ride. Any recommendation for stoping the post from slipping? I do not want to over torque the post. I put about finger tight force on wrench for tighten it up. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Bobby

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

same setup, no problem...

I have the 2004 KG 461 with the new FSA carbon post. No problems at all. Only moderate tightening of the clamp seems to do the trick. I do have an excessively long 350mm post. The 250mm would have been very borderline with regard to length, so I got the longer model.

What do you mean by "finger tight"? I use a short length hex wrench or a 4-5-6 Y-style wrench and apply moderate torque. If you have no concept of proper torque, get a torque wrench and tighten to 7-8NM, then see how it feels by hand.

I've experimented with over tightening M5 stainless steel bolts and found that it takes a ridiculous amount of force to deforrn the threads. The bolts I experimented with were permanently twisted from the excessive torque, but still didn't break.
    Last edited by C-40; 03-30-2004 at 06:10 AM.

Mar 2004

FSA Seat Pose

Hello C-40,
    How do you like that seat post? I like it the first time I see it. It seems the quality is better than the Alien post. Plus the color match up with the color on my KG461. So what is your trick in putting in the post so it doesn't slip? How much do you weight? I am 125 lbs. I tight my up with standard wrench...almost hand tight. The darn thing still slipped. I clean the post with alcohol and it still slipped. So yesterday I took the post out and use very fine steel wool to remove the clear coat out around area where the clamp is touching the post, clean it out with alcohol and install it back into the bike. I will go ride this afternoon and see if it will slipped. If it is then I would go buy a torque wrench...

Ronn

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

post works OK

I suspect your problem is merely failing to apply adequate torque to the clamp bolt. Also be sure to lubricate the bolt threads. A lubricated bolt requires less torque to apply the same clamping force. I apply no more torque than I use with any other M5 clamp bolt and mine never slips. I weigh 135.

I did have a little problem with the saddle slipping back, but I suspect it was just a case of under-tightening the seat rail clamp bolts. They are also M5, so you don't want to get carried away when tightening them.

Mar 2004
    Hi C-40,
    Thanks for your reply. I will have to go down stair and play with torque wrench to see what it feel like for 8 newton meter torque. I may have under torque it after hearing all how easy it is to crack carbon post. I already grease up the bolt tread on the seat post clamp so that is not an issue. And about the saddle slipping back, you may want to tighten up both bolt about equal amount of torque. I torque mine to hand tight torque and it never slipped. I really like this design. It gives you definite angle adjustment of saddle tilt. A pain to put on saddle for the first time but it all great after that. Great day now. Safe riding.

Bobby

SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
    The clamp is sh$t on my use so i got a easton,its great.