Fender Peeps step inside (rattle, rattle)
    ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Fender Peeps step inside (rattle, rattle)

I have a chrome frame with Honjo hammertone fenders. I only ride the bike on special occasions, like the 2 day tour ride I'm doing this weekend or the Wyoming leg of a trip latter this summer. It is my only fender bike at this time.

I have leather flaps on both fenders. I get this rattleing noise when I hit a bump, I did not always have the noise. What I suspect is the source is the bolt/interface of the fender to the bridge at the chain stay. I have tried several methods of attachment with the nut and bolt, it seems inevitably something is not 100% tight or loosens over time and I get a rattle. Today I am buying rubber grommets to use as bumpers on the bolt between all contact points on that bolt 3? 4? Anyone with this problem? Solutions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apr 2008
    I used to have a telecaster... it played great for the price but the B string just wouldnt stay in tune.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought some white nylon washers and spacers from the local hardware store when I installed fenders on my bike. Every place where the fender attached, I added a nylon washer/spacer between the bolt and the fender/frame. My fenders don't make a sound.

banned

Zip tie?

On ESKE fenders, I can use a zip tie, the biggest that will fit through a hole drilled through the bracket that holds the fender to the chainstay bridge.

This bracket is attached to the end of the fender with two small bolts, a two-point mounting system that never comes loose. The bracket is curved to fit around the bridge, and actually has a small hole drilled in it, right in front of where it sits on the bridge. Perfect for a zip tie, which lashes it to the bridge and lasts the life of the fender. The bracket is probably different than yours.

Fenders always flex. That's why, IMO, metal on metal would hold better, as the joints wouldn't flex. A rubber grommet would probably start cracking within a short time from the constant flexing. You need something sturdier, like teflon--or a zip tie.

Frog Whisperer
    foam double sided tape....provides rubber cushion AND stays put

worked when my fenders were just touching my brake bridge and crown
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    foam double sided tape....provides rubber cushion AND stays put

worked when my fenders were just touching my brake bridge and crown
    Listen to Touch, he knows what he's doing. He uses this method with his dentures.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B15serv
    I used to have a telecaster... it played great for the price but the B string just wouldnt stay in tune.
    I loved my Strat, but I was a foolish teenager and sold it.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    Listen to Touch, he knows what he's doing. He uses this method with his dentures.

ooooooooooooooooooooooh....................ouch
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

I'm gonna try this...

Went to the hardware store plumbing aisle and bought some rubber 3/16' thick
    washers for fawcett repair. the hole is a perfect fit for the attachment bolt, so i sandwiched the fender inside and out with a rubber washer and tightened the bolt down on the bridge. I'll give that a shot and since the process is reversible. we shall see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I've got the same issue with my SKS fenders. The bolt worked its way out, and I can't get it back in without taking off the rear wheel and the fender. I'm going to zip tie it tomorrow and call it good. If I felt like taking it all apart to reattach the bolt I'd put a lock washer and some red loctite to make it stay put.

Militant commuter
    Velo Orange sells some leather washers that eliminate rattling, too. They work pretty well, but if you already have rubber ones, you should be fine.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"