A few SPD-SL Questions...
    CHT
    RoadBikeReview Member

A few SPD-SL Questions...

I've finally wore down the insides of my very old look pedals on my trainer/bad weather bike after over 10K miles. Even w/new cleats they click (not squeak) because the platform is so worn and uneven the cleat moves up and down (not just laterally).

In any event, since I'm in the market for new pedals, I have a few questions....

1. Can SPD-SL cleats be used w/Look pedals? I plan on switching my relatively new PP396's (2 years old and about 4K miles) to my trainer bike and purchasing SPD-SL pedals. If not, I'll probably pick up the basic SPD-SL for the trainer.

2. What, if anything, is the difference between the DA PD-7800 pedals and the DA PD-7750 (or earlier DA SPD-SL) pedals?

I could get another pair of Looks, but the PP396's require too much care to avoid the dreaded squeak. I'm tired of wiping down my cleats everytime I've touched the ground, sanding rough spots and lubing the cleats every other day.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by CHT; 05-14-2004 at 06:05 AM.
    It's better to burn out, then to fade away....

Mar 2004
    CHT -

I made the switch from Look (also sick of that squeak...) to SPD-SLs two months ago and am very pleased I did so. The ground clearance is better, they are noticeably lighter and the cleats are more secure underfoot if you have to walk around in them. And no squeak!

To answer your questions:

1. Yes. Not perfect, but it works.
    2. Virtually nothing. There may be a few grammes in it, but you'd have to be a real weenie to care about the difference. Plus at least some retailers may be doing special offers on 7750s.

CC

Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ce Cinquanta
    CHT -

I made the switch from Look (also sick of that squeak...) to SPD-SLs two months ago and am very pleased I did so. The ground clearance is better, they are noticeably lighter and the cleats are more secure underfoot if you have to walk around in them. And no squeak!

To answer your questions:

1. Yes. Not perfect, but it works.
    2. Virtually nothing. There may be a few grammes in it, but you'd have to be a real weenie to care about the difference. Plus at least some retailers may be doing special offers on 7750s.

CC
    There is a difference between 7750 and 7800. the 7800 has a slightly larger contact surface. And of course the finish is different.