soliton
    Jul 2012

Finding rear axle for old Mavic wheel

I was helping a buddy rebuild his old rear wheel Mavic Aksium vintage around 2008. Everything went fine cleaned out freehub and replaced all the bearings. Well... almost everything. We found that on the drive side the axle had snapped about 10-15 mm from the end. It was a pretty clean break so I guess the skewer kept it wedged tightly against the remainder so that there was not a obvious problem riding. At any rate we have had no luck trying to locate a replacement part. We did find the Mavic part number # 323 482 01 but no vendors as of yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on locating. We are trying to go via email with Mavic now but they want the wheel serial number which is rubbed illegible. Thanks for any ideas on obtaining the part or a suitable substitute.

gazing from the shadows
    Have you tried www.mavicparts.com ?

I found it by a search, never used the site. I don't endorse it, I don't NOT endorse it. Seems an options though.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

a real member's member
    is it a cartridge bearing hub? or will a regular axle from Wheels Mfg work? have you tried to find a replacement hub or axle on ebay? can you post a photo of the axle?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    is it a cartridge bearing hub? or will a regular axle from Wheels Mfg work? have you tried to find a replacement hub or axle on ebay? can you post a photo of the axle?
    Let's go even more basic.

Have you gone into a local bike shop and asked if they have one of "these"? (hold up broken axle).

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    It's definitely a cartridge bearing hub. The axle is definitely proprietary. No other axle will work.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post

Have you gone into a local bike shop and asked if they have one of "these"? (hold up broken axle).
    Slim chance of that happening but definitely worth a try.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    No other axle will work.
    As a last resort, would going the weld and machine smooth route be an option?

As a last resort I'd buy another wheel. Finding someone that would be able to weld a broken axle together and have it end up straight would be harder than either finding a replacement and/or a new wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Highly unlikely to be successful unless the price paid for the welding was exhorbitant. IOW, buy a new wheel if axle cannot be found. Ah, the joy of MAVIC and their proprietary parts. And for the OP, there is actually a Wheels and Tires forum here.
    Last edited by Kerry Irons; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:45 AM.

Rub it............
    Have your local Mavic dealer call Mavic. Give them the serial number for the wheel - opposite the valve stem. You'd be surprise what Mavic has in stock for parts. IIRC, the Aksium was pretty much unchanged for quite a few years.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

soliton
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Have your local Mavic dealer call Mavic. Give them the serial number for the wheel - opposite the valve stem. You'd be surprise what Mavic has in stock for parts. IIRC, the Aksium was pretty much unchanged for quite a few years.
    Yep tried Mavic. They said wheel too old for them to have the part. Don't know if true or don't want to be bothered. I even have the Mavic part number 323 482 01.

soliton
    Jul 2012

Well... I have tried at a couple of the LBS's with no results. That is not to say that there is not one that will respond differently.

soliton
    Jul 2012
    There was/is another 12mm of threaded axle at the top. That's the part that sheared off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finding rear axle for old Mavic wheel-img_0048.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by soliton View Post
    Well... I have tried at a couple of the LBS's with no results. That is not to say that there is not one that will respond differently.
    Sure, try every shop in the country and you might eventually fine one w/ the part.

It's not even that great of a wheel...you could probably buy another for not very much. Or some better...now there's an idea.

RoadBikeReview Member
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mavic-Aksiu...6svS:rk:8:pf:0

get the guy to send you the hub and trash the rest.

shiit someone bought it already.
    Last edited by kiwisimon; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:24 PM.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Kiwisimon's suggestion is a good one. I have a lot of respect for getting long life out of a part and making old stuff new again but .... it's an Aksium wheel and it had a good run. Pick up a good used wheel set off CL.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Highly unlikely to be successful unless the price paid for the welding was exhorbitant. IOW, buy a new wheel if axle cannot be found.
    Sure, that's true. And I certainly would not be trying to save the thing myself.

But, for a low cost/low chance of success option... take it to a local community college welding class. The instructor might be willing to let the class try to weld cut steel tubes together, then give the "best" student performer a shot at the axle. If it doesn't work out, nothing lost.

Likely would not work, but having an in with a welding instructor would be worth the hassle for some. Good people to know, ime. And it might work.

Heck, it might become a standing lesson. A lesson in "why we don't take every job".