Flat bar brake levers
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Flat bar brake levers

Due to my compressed lumbar discs, I am converting to a flat bar and new stem to get a more upright riding position. What are some decent brake levers I can use that will be compatible with my SRAM Rival calipers? Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I'm not up on what's currently available, but there are a number of adjustable leverage levers like the Avid speed dials. There are also some with 2 positions for the cable head allowing them to match various brakes, calipers, cantis, or V-brakes.

The advantage of adjustable or multi-position levers is that you can optimize the leverage and throw to work for just about any brake, and in the case of the speed dials, fine tune them to your exact preference.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chachas View Post
    Due to my compressed lumbar discs, I am converting to a flat bar and new stem to get a more upright riding position.
    Good idea to try this. But keep your old parts around in case it doesn't work as you thought it would. As you sit more and more upright, more and more of your weight gets shifted onto the saddle. Also consider that people who ride bolt-upright not only have about 70% of their weight on the saddle, but a strong jolt (pothole, etc.) travels straight up their spine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    I'm not up on what's currently available, but there are a number of adjustable leverage levers like the Avid speed dials.
    The Avids here Levers | SRAM are great but they are designed for MTB's with V or disc brakes.

For road brakes try here Flat Handlebar

IMO its best to stick to what the manufacturers design their products for but I know you will find other opinions. Good luck.