Flo 30s > DA C60 ?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015

Flo 30s > DA C60 ?

Is a wheelset upgrade from flo 30s to dura ace c60s actually faster (mostly flat terrain in the midwest)? Want to make the jump to a deeper wheelset without losing the braking surface in case I want to take a weekend out west and am trying to sort out if it would be worth the hassle. It sounds like the fairing type setup you need for a deep rim/alum braking surface tends to be significantly heavier than a straight carbon clincher.

The flo 30s are also laced to a powertap hub in back so I'd spring for P1/P2 pedals to go along with whatever non PT wheelset I go for..

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Are you racing? Do you have "wind" where you live? You're suggesting a massive $$$$ outlay for JRA riding....and even racing, the change probably would only amount to marginal gains.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    I am racing cat 2 at the moment and personally I don't think theres enough wind to worry about rims that are less than 50mm in depth.. I think you're right about the cost though, it seems silly. An Ironman is on the list this year and number of duathlons/tris as well and the time savings would be what, a couple minutes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    money issue is a value thing and each person will see a different value to be gained.

But money issue aside, DA wheels definitely will roll better. DA hubs use highly polished stainless cup and cones and polished stainless ball bearings, probably the only hubs in the industry doing this. Result is an incredible smooth rolling wheelset. However, I do feel that Shimano is still stuck in the past by not going to a 23-25mm wide rim though, but this is not a deal killer IMO, but if they did, then there would be zero thing for meto complain about.

and yes the whole carbon clincher set will be about a tad lighter than the DA aluminum/carbon fairing setup, but the WIDE aluminum braking surface of DA wheelset is unbeatable! and unless racing up a hill is more important than ability to descent down a hill in complete confidence, then the additional weight of the DA set will not be that important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Am I making too big a deal about this, are carbon brake tracks all caught up to aluminum (even on long/fast descents)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can usually find sets of HED jet 6 wheels for around 999 online from various retailers (currently 1100 on competative cyclist but they have sales where they go for 999). They usually test really well on aero tests, have the newer wider rims and come in lighter than the Dura ace wheels. I've been using a set of jet 5s for 4+ years now on the recommendations of someone from this site I believe. They have been great. My dad has had a set of the jet6 wheels for a couple years and 2 other guys I ride with bought some in the last couple years for similar reasons. Aero wheel, not too heavy and no compromising with carbon brake tracks (though carbon supposedly has improved a lot).

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by wradom View Post
    Am I making too big a deal about this, are carbon brake tracks all caught up to aluminum (even on long/fast descents)?
    Seeing how virtually every pro road racer has used carbon wheels for the last decade or so and nearly every one of is still alive I'd say the braking performance is pretty darn good.

And of course this post should really be in 'wheels/tires'.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    I think the 60s would be faster, but how much and if its worth spending that money for that upgrade is up to you...

IMO, there's really no reason to be limiting yourself to those wheels... carbon brake tacks are generally pretty good at this point, unless you're riding a lot in horrible rain.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Fuse Comp