Frankenbike Shimano 10s FD with 11s shifters
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Cool Frankenbike Shimano 10s FD with 11s shifters

Everything I've read says using a Shimano 10s FD with 11s shifters does not work due to the change in cable pull between 'generations', BUT:

(short version) It worked for me...at least temporarily.

(long version) In the process of updating my older 10 speed C-dale roadie to 11 speed (~2007 full carbon Synapse 56cm with DA groupo). I installed 105 brifters (R7000) and Ultegra rear derailleur (R8000), along with 11s cassette on its OEM Ksyrium SSC SL wheels. Unfortunately, the R7000 FD has not arrived yet. Rear shifts great, but PITA to have no front shifting. So just for grins, I hooked up the old 7800 (DA) FD and it basically works. I had to readjust the limit screws, the trim click is useless, and it's not that smooth. But it does shift the chain between big & small rings (50/34). Not well enough for me to regret buying a proper R7000 FD, but it's working.

And, FWIW, the R7000 levers with the old 7800 DA calipers (Kool Stop salmon pads) work fine. With some adjustment the 14% difference in lever cable pull (old DA 7800 to new 105 R7000) is very useable, even if modulation is not quite as nice as a new full DA set-up. Honestly don't see the need to update the brakes.

I am NOT recommending mixing Shimano generations outside their guidance, just reporting my experience with one specific bike.
    As with any Frankenbike- YMMV

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldteen View Post
    Everything I've read says using a Shimano 10s FD with 11s shifters does not work due to the change in cable pull between 'generations', BUT:

(short version) It worked for me...at least temporarily.

(long version) In the process of updating my older 10 speed C-dale roadie to 11 speed (~2007 full carbon Synapse 56cm with DA groupo). I installed 105 shifters (R7000) and Ultegra rear derailleur (R8000), along with 11s cassette on its OEM Ksyrium SSC SL wheels. Unfortunately, the R7000 FD has not arrived yet. Rear shifts great, but PITA to have no front shifting. So just for grins, I hooked up the old 7800 (DA) FD and it basically works. I had to readjust the limit screws, the trim click is useless, and it's not that smooth. But it does shift the chain between big & small rings (50/34). Not well enough for me to regret buying a proper R7000 FD, but it's working.

And, FWIW, the R7000 levers with the old 7800 DA calipers (Kool Stop salmon pads) work fine. With some adjustment the 14% difference in lever cable pull (old DA 7800 to new 105 R7000) is very useable, even if modulation is not quite as nice as a new full DA set-up. Honestly don't see the need to update the brakes.

I am NOT recommending mixing Shimano generations outside their guidance, just reporting my experience with one specific bike.
    As with any Frankenbike- YMMV
    I'm sure they work pretty well. But...please don't use the 'b' word...they're shifters. Everyone knows what modern levers do. The 'b' word makes it sound like you're trying to be cool making up a new, unneeded word...that just sounds silly.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    Will it work, yes.

Will it work well, no.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm sure they work pretty well. But...please don't use the 'b' word...they're shifters. Everyone knows what modern levers do. The 'b' word makes it sound like you're trying to be cool making up a new, unneeded word...that just sounds silly.
    Wait, this is way to nice - Who are you and what have you done with cxwrench!???
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Did not mean to offend. But if I had made up the 'b word' I would have copyrighted it and made a small fortune charging people a royalty for using it in print and video.

And while I admit to being silly at times, I couldn't be 'cool' in a vat of liquid nitrogen.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Wait, this is way to nice - Who are you and what have you done with cxwrench!???
    Wow, cxwrench is becoming a real softie. He hasn't even jumped on you for misspelling "too".
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.