Frankensteiníng Campy 11 and 12 sp thumb shifter
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Frankensteiníng Campy 11 and 12 sp thumb shifter

Howdy,

Iíve ridden Campy all my life and love every piece of engineering introduced by the brand. I recently built a bike with lower end Potenza group and really really like the position of the thumb shifter. Downside is only 1 larger gear at a time, but the ergonomic and error free (well, almost) during a hard sprint cannot be beat.

Itís a little disappointing that I cannot steal just the thumb lever from the Potenza and retrofit my SR/R or Chorus with the part. I did make do with swapping the carbon brake levers from the SR group with the Potenza shifter bodies and the bike looks all SR but with the hack job of plasticky Potenza inert.

Anyone has done something similar? Or have a better solution/approach to improving thumb lever ergonomic? Hard to think Iím the only want with the challenge.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Kiet

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by aktran View Post
    Howdy,

Iíve ridden Campy all my life and love every piece of engineering introduced by the brand. I recently built a bike with lower end Potenza group and really really like the position of the thumb shifter. Downside is only 1 larger gear at a time, but the ergonomic and error free (well, almost) during a hard sprint cannot be beat.

Itís a little disappointing that I cannot steal just the thumb lever from the Potenza and retrofit my SR/R or Chorus with the part. I did make do with swapping the carbon brake levers from the SR group with the Potenza shifter bodies and the bike looks all SR but with the hack job of plasticky Potenza inert.

Anyone has done something similar? Or have a better solution/approach to improving thumb lever ergonomic? Hard to think Iím the only want with the challenge.

Appreciate your thoughts.
    Parts are not interchangeable between the shifters, at a minimum because they use a different mechanism to do the shift - note the differences in shifter operation such as "one at a time" vs. being able to sweep multiple gears. Not possible.