FreeHub Noise

Thread: FreeHub Noise

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

FreeHub Noise

My new bike has DT Swiss E1800 Spline wheels and the hub ratchet noise when I'm not pedaling is annoying. It is an 11 speed hub.
    I've taken the hub on other wheels apart and had good results with Tri-Flow in that area.

I now only have T-9 & ProLink lube, & I think they would be too watery. Is there a better lube than tri-flow for this & is there anything I should be aware of.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    DT Swiss freehub grease

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    My new bike has DT Swiss E1800 Spline wheels and the hub ratchet noise when I'm not pedaling is annoying. It is an 11 speed hub.
    I've taken the hub on other wheels apart and had good results with Tri-Flow in that area.

I now only have T-9 & ProLink lube, & I think they would be too watery. Is there a better lube than tri-flow for this & is there anything I should be aware of.
    Any lightweight grease, or grease mixed with oil. 90w gear lube would be quieter too. If the grease is too thick, it could inhibit engagement, particularly in cold weather.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    DT Swiss 'special' grease and nothing else. Not much of it. Apply some to the ramps on one ring, and some to the notches on outside of the rings, that's it. If you overdo it the rings won't engage properly. If you use oil it will leak out. Depending on how much you ride you'll have to do it every 2-8 months.

You can obviously use different grease if you can't get DT but nothing heavy or really 'webby'.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    DT Swiss 'special' grease and nothing else. Not much of it. Apply some to the ramps on one ring, and some to the notches on outside of the rings, that's it. If you overdo it the rings won't engage properly. If you use oil it will leak out. Depending on how much you ride you'll have to do it every 2-8 months.
    I believe these wheels use those DT370 hubs like in that hub-conversion thread. No star ratchets, just traditional pawls.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I believe these wheels use those DT370 hubs like in that hub-conversion thread. No star ratchets, just traditional pawls.
    You are correct. DT 'normal' grease for those.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Grease every 2-8 months just to keep my freehub quiet? I'll stick with my good old reliable quiet Shimano hubs, thanks!
    Last edited by Lombard; 07-10-2019 at 05:16 AM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    i now only have t-9 & prolink lube..........
    Spike......5....4.....3.....2....1........
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein