Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Freewheels vs cassettes

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Bremerradkurier 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
It's surprising to me that someone has been on the forum for over 5 years, has almost 3500 posts, but didn't know the difference. Next time you're really bored get you hands on a single speed freewheel and take it apart. Make sure you have a magnet handy.

#12 ·
My fold up uses a freewheel. It failed this morning.
i prefer ird freewheels, but they're about $50 and can be hard to find now. i think the newer ones are called "classica" or something like that. they're stealthy quiet, which i love. (easier to sneak up on pedestrians that way.) ird has great customer service, too. one of my pawls broke, and they sent me a replacement freewheel in just a couple days.

i recently bought a 13-24 sunrace freewheel on ebay for under $20. i got a nos suntour sprint rear derailleur for like $14 on ebay and am looking forward to seeing if it can make it up to that 25t cog.

I haven't had a sunrace freewheel fail yet. i always get 'em in the silver finish from ebay. they look "cheaper" than the ird ones, but they have shifting ramps and i find them to be a good value.

i've found 7-speed freewheels shift better with a 9-speed chain.

#16 ·
I still have a 7400 12-19 and a Sachs 12-18 7 speed freewheel. It's hard wearing them out when they were only used in Crits. I even have a pair of Sachs 8 speed freewheels and the hubs that were made to go with them.

#17 ·
Still using Sachs 7sp freewheel on my winter/indoor trainer wheels on the bike with Campy Ergo 8. Just lock out low gear with the limit screw.

Rode that Pinarello Gavia TSX today with the Campy wheels. Still love the shifting with that setup better than anything modern. Click it shifts with no trimming of the FD ever required, no matter what rear cog you're in.

#18 ·
I used to do that too, all the time when I had 8 speed Chorus on my 80's Bianchi. Specially because I had a bunch of freewheel type tubular wheels left over from downtube friction days.

#20 ·
Yup...learned that when removing an axle assembly to use a big tray to catch the stuff that falls out. The springs that fly out when released are another story. Those little suckers can sure fly when released. ;)

The Shimano 600EX 6spd on mine are still going. Bought cogs from one of the old shops so I had a good run at keeping my last two road worthy. The SIS DT shifters are another story, was hunting 6 SPD Exage way back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.