RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Freewheels vs cassettes

Coming from road bikes I thought there were only cassettes. My fold up uses a freewheel. It failed this morning. Pretty scary stuff.

Just got an education. Thought it was interesting. I like knowing what the parts do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcgz3-XyNkI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UuWAtEs3WI
    Last edited by Trek_5200; 1 Week Ago at 05:19 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    Coming from road bikes I thought there were only cassettes. My fold up uses a freewheel. It failed this morning. Pretty scary stuff.

Just got an education. Thought it was interesting. I like knowing what the parts do
    How many gears on the freewheel?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    How many gears on the freewheel?
    I never pay attention. Fairly sure its 7.

Rub it............
    Easy way to remember.

Freewheels thread on, cassettes slide on.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    It's surprising to me that someone has been on the forum for over 5 years, has almost 3500 posts, but didn't know the difference. Next time you're really bored get you hands on a single speed freewheel and take it apart. Make sure you have a magnet handy.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    It's surprising to me that someone has been on the forum for over 5 years, has almost 3500 posts, but didn't know the difference. Next time you're really bored get you hands on a single speed freewheel and take it apart. Make sure you have a magnet handy.
    snarky. if you were trying to make a helpful suggestion that wasn't the way to go about it.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Well, CX, you know that there are LOTS of people here on RBR that probably don't have a road bike, or even ride for that matter. Most of them rarely leave the "politics only" forum. Others just like to ride, but have no mechanical talent at all (those are the ones who pay your salary, BTW). Just a quick look at the road bikes that show up at my local bike club rides tells me that about 1/3 of them can't even figure out how to operate a quick-release.

BTW, if the OP really wants to find out "what the parts do", I could send you one of the old freewheels I have in my basement. The mechanism under the cogs is essentially the same as a freehub, being mostly pawls, springs and bearings.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Well, CX, you know that there are LOTS of people here on RBR that probably don't have a road bike, or even ride for that matter. Most of them rarely leave the "politics only" forum. Others just like to ride, but have no mechanical talent at all (those are the ones who pay your salary, BTW). Just a quick look at the road bikes that show up at my local bike club rides tells me that about 1/3 of them can't even figure out how to operate a quick-release.

BTW, if the OP really wants to find out "what the parts do", I could send you one of the old freewheels I have in my basement. The mechanism under the cogs is essentially the same as a freehub, being mostly pawls, springs and bearings.
    Huge difference between knowing how to operate a quick release and repair a flat and knowing the difference between a free-hub and a cassette. If you're not taking one apart, they will look similar, Building a straw-man?

Personally I can do simple stuff like remove pedals, fix a flat, adjust seat and handle bars, but could I build a wheel or install a group set , No. These aren't equivalent skills

snarky. if you were trying to make a helpful suggestion that wasn't the way to go about it.
    Not meant to be. Should have added a or something like that. SS freewheels are loads of fun cuz they have loads of balls...single speed freewheels have up to 40-50 (if I'm remembering correctly) on each side. Crazy fun.

Not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Not meant to be. Should have added a or something like that. SS freewheels are loads of fun cuz they have loads of balls...single speed freewheels have up to 40-50 (if I'm remembering correctly) on each side. Crazy fun.

Not.
    Did you know that Shimano caliper brakes (105, Ultegra, DA) use ball bearings in their 2 joints?? One time took apart a caliper and those ball bearings fell complete out splatter all over the ground. Bearings were so damn small that even my rare-earth metal magnet (these are hard drives magnets, 2 of them together could put some pain on your fingers) failed to seek all of them. Caliper trashed.

Russian Troll Farmer

Not.
    Sounds like the "rude awakening" I had when I opened up the headset on an old Raleigh town bike I'd bought. Fully expecting a caged bearing, I was greeted with the surprise of a cascade of tiny silver orbs, spilling all over my garage floor......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

a real member's member
    My fold up uses a freewheel. It failed this morning.
    i prefer ird freewheels, but they're about $50 and can be hard to find now. i think the newer ones are called "classica" or something like that. they're stealthy quiet, which i love. (easier to sneak up on pedestrians that way.) ird has great customer service, too. one of my pawls broke, and they sent me a replacement freewheel in just a couple days.

i recently bought a 13-24 sunrace freewheel on ebay for under $20. i got a nos suntour sprint rear derailleur for like $14 on ebay and am looking forward to seeing if it can make it up to that 25t cog.

I haven't had a sunrace freewheel fail yet. i always get 'em in the silver finish from ebay. they look "cheaper" than the ird ones, but they have shifting ramps and i find them to be a good value.

i've found 7-speed freewheels shift better with a 9-speed chain.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

a real member's member
    It's surprising ...
    a little off topic, but do you know if i can use a new sunrace 7-speed freewheel with a shimano tri-color indexing rear derailleur? the down tube shifters are indexing shimano, but i don't know the model.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

If you can't find an IRD part online you can have any bike shop call Merry Sales Co. as they own the IRD name. You never know what they might still have in their warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    a little off topic, but do you know if i can use a new sunrace 7-speed freewheel with a shimano tri-color indexing rear derailleur? the down tube shifters are indexing shimano, but i don't know the model.
    I'm nearly positive that will work fine.

Banned forever.....or not
    I still have a 7400 12-19 and a Sachs 12-18 7 speed freewheel. It's hard wearing them out when they were only used in Crits. I even have a pair of Sachs 8 speed freewheels and the hubs that were made to go with them.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Still using Sachs 7sp freewheel on my winter/indoor trainer wheels on the bike with Campy Ergo 8. Just lock out low gear with the limit screw.

Rode that Pinarello Gavia TSX today with the Campy wheels. Still love the shifting with that setup better than anything modern. Click it shifts with no trimming of the FD ever required, no matter what rear cog you're in.

Banned forever.....or not
    I used to do that too, all the time when I had 8 speed Chorus on my 80's Bianchi. Specially because I had a bunch of freewheel type tubular wheels left over from downtube friction days.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

a real member's member
    I'm nearly positive that will work fine.
    thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yup...learned that when removing an axle assembly to use a big tray to catch the stuff that falls out. The springs that fly out when released are another story. Those little suckers can sure fly when released. ;)

The Shimano 600EX 6spd on mine are still going. Bought cogs from one of the old shops so I had a good run at keeping my last two road worthy. The SIS DT shifters are another story, was hunting 6 SPD Exage way back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Anybody else remember these? Saw one of these on clearance with the case on closeout at REI around '87 or so-they were sort of a cross between freewheels and cassettes but supposedly they were kind of 'splody.