Front derailleur tuning. Shifts small to big, but not the other way.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019

Front derailleur tuning. Shifts small to big, but not the other way.

SRAM Force front derailleur on a double chainring with 'doubletap' shifters.

The bike will shift from the small ring to the big pretty easily, however going back down it needs two clicks out of the shifter before it will consider moving to the small ring. And the clicks are a bit more of a not-nice-sounding pop... kind of seeming as if something is binding.

I've set the limits properly. There's proper clearance between the derailleur guide and the chain rings. The shift cable shows some slack when in the small ring.

What might this be? My only thoughts are something faulty with the shifter as it seems the typical boxes are checked off. Though this is the first time in a while I've had something other than a 1x setup so it's highly possible I'm missing something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by gmn14 View Post
    SRAM Force front derailleur on a double chainring with 'doubletap' shifters.

The bike will shift from the small ring to the big pretty easily, however going back down it needs two clicks out of the shifter before it will consider moving to the small ring. And the clicks are a bit more of a not-nice-sounding pop... kind of seeming as if something is binding.

I've set the limits properly. There's proper clearance between the derailleur guide and the chain rings. The shift cable shows some slack when in the small ring.

What might this be? My only thoughts are something faulty with the shifter as it seems the typical boxes are checked off. Though this is the first time in a while I've had something other than a 1x setup so it's highly possible I'm missing something.
    Does it shift freely to the small ring if you disconnect the cable? If yes, then that suggests either the cable or the shifter is binding. Watch the cable to see if there is slack on the first or second click. It's possible that the shifter has gotten stiff due to gunk accumulating. Work through several shifts while shooting something like WD-40 into the guts of the shifter. If ths doesn't fix it, then clening/lubing the cables or replacing cables/casing may be needed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    So I stumbled across this video on YouTube that shows the 2 clicks/pops to go big to small. From the description, it seems to appear as if this is normal operation?

https://youtu.be/qyUdzW5dkko

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    So after more searching, it seems this is totally normal and is just the trim function.

Shows how long I've been without a front derailleur if this is "new" to me!