Frozen Bottle Cage Bolts - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Yes. I suspect the plus nut is turning with the force applied to the nut, same direction would back out the screw.

As well as following your description, I watched several videos.

I will have to figure out why the screw is just backing out. Could be that this happens when the insert is not already snug in the frame.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    I will have to figure out why the screw is just backing out. Could be that this happens when the insert is not already snug in the frame.
    It's not because it isn't snug in the frame. Even a spinning rivnut will expand.

If it's backing out, it sounds like you're not apply enough downward force. Did you practice in a scrap piece of metal first?

Try this technique. He makes a tool to help apply down pressure.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks for the follow-up tips. I have tested outside the frame without difficulty, but I suspect that I am nervous about providing too much downward force, for fear of damaging the carbon fiber.

In the examples you provided the rivnut has way more wiggle room than me application, so I would agree that is not the issue although the more snug the rivnut is, probably helps to snug it up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Here is my tool setup.

Using the 1/4" drive ratchet I apply a large amount of downward force, yet the screw still backs out with the nut turn (using the ratchet wrench).

I am starting to think I need to somehow snug the top of the plus nut on the inside with some kind of tape, or even epoxy it in place first before snugging up the 4 ears.
    Attached Images Attached Images

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Using the 1/4" drive ratchet I apply a large amount of downward force, yet the screw still backs out with the nut turn (using the ratchet wrench).
    Do you mean the screw is backing out of the rivnut?
    Sounds like there's too much friction and the rivnut is just spinning and not compressing. Try greasing the threads and the nuts/washer.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Yes. After applying much downward pressure and tightening the nut, no progress and when I pull out the assembly I note that the screw has just retracted from the plus nut. I have lubed screw, nut and washer, all threads seem good without needless friction. I even "pre-bulbed" the assembly a bit to make the initial fit snug, but that simply starts the "flowering" of the 4 ears of the plus nut further inside the downtube.

I am willing to consider making the additional tool shown in one of the videos supplied, but to be honest, I think I am supplying at least the same amount of downward force.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Wow...I just tried a nut driver on the top and even focusing the force downwards that way, results are the same. If I start with 2 or 3 threads portruding from the bottom of the plus nut, several turns of the tightening nut and the bolt has retreated back up inside.

Makes me wonder if folding the 4 ears of the plus nut takes more force than cinching up a rivnut. I did buy the plus nuts specific for plastic, so go figure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Any chance my M5 "drawtight" nut is too small for the job? Not sure if I can find a bigger one, if that's the cause.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's a different technique.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Voila! 10 minutes and had both installed. Good as new!

I had seen that video but couldn't discern why using an M6 nut on the M5 bolt would do anything, so dismissed it. Turns out, it allowed me to simply crank down on a ratchet with a M5 hex bit while holding something close to a M6 nut next to the face of the plus nut.

Finished product seems very secure. Thanks everyone!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Voila! 10 minutes and had both installed. Good as new!

I had seen that video but couldn't discern why using an M6 nut on the M5 bolt would do anything, so dismissed it. Turns out, it allowed me to simply crank down on a ratchet with a M5 hex bit while holding something close to a M6 nut next to the face of the plus nut.

Finished product seems very secure. Thanks everyone!
    Great.
    I've never installed them with the bolt/nut method. I always envisioned you'd do it like that video, not by turning on the nut.

I'd put some paint on those rivnuts and make sure you grease the bolts. They're plated but still likely to get some corrosion on them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123