FSA Complaints

Thread: FSA Complaints

May 2008

Angry FSA Complaints

Need to vent! I have been trying to diagnose a creaking problem on my 2006 Orbea Opal. I've been through everything and even put down for a FSA ceramic BB. Still creaks. Then I noticed a crack in the carbon fiber crank arm, right where the pedal threads in. I took the bike in to my local shop who called FSA. FSA siad crank is out of warranty but they would do 35% off a new crank. That was a decent gesture but I wanted to see if I could do better, I still felt the crank arm should not have cracked. I called FSA directly and have never been treated so poorly by a manufacturer. The gentleman was rude and combative. When I asked questions he gave me attitude and spoke to me like I didn;t know what I was talking about. He was doing ME a favor since HIS product failed! I'm sure he has a crappy job, listening to people complain all day, but perhaps FSA needs someone with a better attitude in a postion of dealing with the public. The topper is, now my 1 week old expensive BB isn't compatible with a new crank. Of course! Oh well, I just want to get riding again. Been 3 days off the bike and have to wait for a new crank now.

Use my Apps :)
    That sucks. But it is a 3yr old crank and they did offer you a discount.

But, are you sure the new BB isn't compatible with anything else? If it's a mega-exo style then it's probably compatible with any Shimano Hollowtech II crank. I've seen many reports of folks using a Shimano Hollowtech BB with FSA cranks so I'd think the reverse is true.

Hammerhead
    FSA's break. Alot. I'm on my third one, and the transactions were pleasant enough except for the last one. I must've talked to the same guy you did. They tried to tell me my 2-year old crank was out of warranty after they retroactively shortened their warranty period. The crank I originally bought, and the one that replaced it, had lifetime warranties. Now it's 1 year or some such BS. I'll have to say the SLK-Light I have now is a great crank. But when it tanks, it's back to Shimano for me!

RoadBikeReview Member
    They tried to tell me my 2-year old crank was out of warranty after they retroactively shortened their warranty period.
    After my bad experience with an FSA crank and them pulling that, I'll never buy any FSA product again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I dealt with FSA on the phone recently and had a good experience. They were completely helpful. I know this is a place to vent and take revenge after you feel ill-used, but ask yourself how you initiated the conversation. If you put someone on the defensive, they're not going to help you.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Your crank broke after 3 years? And somebody posts an says something like, well after all it was 3 years old. I've got a Campy Record crank that was new in 1994. It's perfect! It has ~ 80,000 miles on it. I've replaced chain rings because of wear. If I bought a new crank and it broke in 3 years, I'd be looking for the mfg's address so I could burn down their building.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Sorry. I forgot to add, do you need any more reasons not to buy carbon fiber parts like these? And please, don't write in and say I'm anti CF. I'm not. But buying CF pedals, cranks, stems, and bars are, IMO, just asking for it. But the pros all use them. Yep, but they can get theirs replaced daily at no cost if needed.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Satan
    FSA's break. Alot. I'm on my third one, and the transactions were pleasant enough except for the last one. I must've talked to the same guy you did. They tried to tell me my 2-year old crank was out of warranty after they retroactively shortened their warranty period. The crank I originally bought, and the one that replaced it, had lifetime warranties. Now it's 1 year or some such BS. I'll have to say the SLK-Light I have now is a great crank. But when it tanks, it's back to Shimano for me!
    Third?

I'm surprised you haven't quit 2 cranks ago.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

Old Skool

+1 - Carbon reliability is an issue

I agree with the spirit of what you are saying. No material is perfect, they all have some issues.

IMHO, at this point, purchasing carbon fiber components is (to a certain extent) signing up to be a guinea pig. Engineering and manufacturing technology is evolving rapidly. Part of this process is getting a large number of users to generate a large sample set of real world results. This is a necessary step in the learning curve for the industry and requires them to sell products that are not fully proven. The sad truth is this learning is funded (at least in part) by the early adopters.

Back in the 60's and 70's alloy parts had the same types of reliability issues. Now alloy components are very reliable because the technology is more mature.
    The avatar is not me; just cool and suitably old skool.

Hammerhead
    Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF
    Third?

I'm surprised you haven't quit 2 cranks ago.
    I would've, but they keep replacing and "upgrading" them under warranty. Every time one breaks I put on my 12-year old DA 7700 and it works great.

Hammerhead
    Quote Originally Posted by Stogaguy
    I agree with the spirit of what you are saying. No material is perfect, they all have some issues.

IMHO, at this point, purchasing carbon fiber components is (to a certain extent) signing up to be a guinea pig. Engineering and manufacturing technology is evolving rapidly. Part of this process is getting a large number of users to generate a large sample set of real world results. This is a necessary step in the learning curve for the industry and requires them to sell products that are not fully proven. The sad truth is this learning is funded (at least in part) by the early adopters.

Back in the 60's and 70's alloy parts had the same types of reliability issues. Now alloy components are very reliable because the technology is more mature.
    I have CF bars (Easton), pedals (LOOK) and seatpost (Deda). All of them have worked beautifully for years. FSA's problem seems to be at the interfaces with the BB and the pedals. 2 of mine failed at the BB insert, and one at the pedal insert. I bought my first one at a good price (on sale), but at the prices they're charging now this rate of failure just isn't acceptable for a company that's supposedly top-tier (or even mid-tier). And the retroactive warranty shortening is the last straw, and probably illegal.