• 10-13-2020
    blahdi
    1 Attachment(s)
    which FSA crank bolt fits this bike?
    I am a newbie at cycling repair.

Can someone guide me on which FSA crank bolt fits my cyclocross bike?

The diameter appears to be approx (not exact) 16.71mm, but the FSA crank bolt descriptions do not contain any specifications on diameter.

Here are the specifications from my bike:

FSA Gossamer Cross MegaEXO External Bottom Bracket, CNC'D 36/46T Chainrings, Polished Black 110BCD (170mm 49-52cm / 172.5mm 54-56cm / 175mm 58-61cm)

FSA BB-6000 External Outboard 68mm Sealed Bearing cartridge

Here is the photo of the missing crank bolt.

Attachment 328675
  • 10-14-2020
    stan01
    I'm using the same crank on my cross bike. The axle from the drive side crank arm is what is fitted to the non-driveside arm. What holds the nds arm on are the 2 pinch bolts on either side the end of the arm using I believe 5mm allen key. Apply equal torque to both bolts to manufacturer's spec. After tightening, you can install the dust cover to the hole in nds arm if you still have it but its not necessary if you've lost it. Btw, I'm not a big fan of the crank as its not a very good design & the nds arm has a tendency to come off. I need to over torque it to prevent this fyi.
  • 10-14-2020
    blahdi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
    I'm using the same crank on my cross bike. The axle from the drive side crank arm is what is threaded to the non-driveside arm. What holds the nds arm on are the 2 pinch bolts on either side the end of the arm using I believe 5mm allen key. Apply equal torque to both bolts to manufacturer's spec. After tightening, you can install the dust cover to the hole in nds arm if you still have it but its not necessary if you've lost it. Btw, I'm not a big fan of the crank as its not a very good design & the nds arm has a tendency to come off. I need to over torque it to prevent this fyi.

Hello Stan,

FSA tech support got back to me about this - there is a FSA crank bolt (ML140 18mm) which fits there, and u will see grooves for a bolt.

without this bolt, the arm comes out more easily. But, u have to regularly check the tightness of the bolt since it comes loose as well - or apply some thread locker.

I also don't recall ever seeing a crank bolt in the original bike, but the arm came off and then I noticed that it accepts a additional bolt.

you may want to order the bolt for peace of mind.

Hope this helps.
  • 10-14-2020
    stan01
    I do have that nds cover bolt installed & have always used it but the nds arm has loosened by itself repeatedly & that is a well known problem. I was tempted by the price when I bought them & found out afterwards why they were on sale. Its the only crank that I've ever used that have had that happen to me where you are riding along & then all of a sudden, the whole arm falls off & you are still attached to it. FSA has since changed their design but as I said before, to prevent this from happening all the time, you need to over torque those pinch bolts.
  • 10-14-2020
    blahdi
    understood. thanks for the suggestion.