funny dura ace vs 105 comparison
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

funny dura ace vs 105 comparison

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just switched my bike from 16 year old Ultegra to the R7000. They are amazing. I watched the video last night and the results were just what I expected.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    My old Trek had 6500. It was very tough but the experience is no where close to what I get on my 9000 Dura Ace. The downside is I need to replace the chain and cassette more often but i can't get myself to ride the old trek much these days. I've grown to dislike the feel of it. Probably needs a servicing but have to face facts Shimano has improved their product

RoadBikeReview Member
    For Shimano, the 105 has everything I want from a manual. Ultegra and Dura Ace offer nothing in a manual that distinguishes them from a 105 IMO. The price difference also is beyond silly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I haven't ridden a bike with the latest generation Shimano, but I have bikes with both 105 5800 and Ultegra 6800 and cannot tell the difference - they both shift flawlessly.

I can't say what the shift quality is with Dura-Ace, but I do know that because the cassette is Ti in order to save weight, you will be replacing it more often. Softer Ti cassette vs. harder steel chain - chain wins.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    The finish is nicer on Dura Ace. After several years of abuse the Dura Ace will look brand new. The 105 finish won't hold up as well. I second the post about using an Ultegra Casssette and chain with Dura Ace. Frankly I think it performs better in addition to lasting longer and being cheaper to replace. This has been written about multiple times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    built my current ride with Ultegra. it worked fine.

after a major crash, replaced it with DA of the same vintage...the DA looks a little nicer, shifts somewhat smoother. I like it better.

don't have a problem with spending money on things that please me.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    This was prior generation but I changed a bike from Ultegra to Dura Ace one part at a time as things wore out. Most things started wearing out after 11 speed came out and I could get 7900 10 speed stuff real cheap then so figured why not.

The only thing I noticed was the crankset felt stiffer when sprinting. Which surprised me because I always assumed that claim was BS because I couldn't 'bend' either. I believe the difference is the chain rings not the arms. Whatever, it definitely felt stiffer.
    Not that feeling stiffer amounts anything. Within reason that's not 'better' nor was it worse.

oh, I also liked the ergonomics of the 7900 shifters more than 6700 but that difference was very slight and totally subjective so not an improvement per se.

My gravel bike has 6800 Ultegra. It has very long chainstays compared to my road bike so that may be a factor but it shifts better than my 7900 DA bike. Not enough better for me to really care though. The difference isn't enough to impact performance or enjoyment.

My trainer only bike has older pre cables under the tape 105 and that works as good as anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    My gravel bike has 6800 Ultegra. It has very long chainstays compared to my road bike so that may be a factor but it shifts better than my 7900 DA bike. Not enough better for me to really care though. The difference isn't enough to impact performance or enjoyment.
    Shifting definitely improved from the 5700/6700 generation to the 5800/6800 generation. Besides shifting more smoothly (likely because actuation ratios were changed), chain drops became virtually non-existent as a result of the trim position being active on the downshift as well as the upshift.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Rub it............
    I've ridden pretty much all of the Shimano drivetrains. Current Tiagra shifts way better than older Ultegra and D/A. I'm currently on Ultegra 6800 and can't feel the difference between that at Dura Ace 9000. Amazing what trickle down technology can do. Even the new Sora shifts nice.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I'm sure all of you are right, but I have to back up the person who alluded "get what pleases you'. Cleaning my 15 year old tandem's Ultegra is so much nicer than my new bike's Ultegra 8000 flat, West Virginia Camaro flat black. For that matter, my wife's 2010 105 has a gorgeous finish like black chrome. The tandem's Ultegra cranks are like polished and looks like an artisan crafted them. I guess I just went off on a rant of the new finishes that don't feel good to wipe down. Next bike I buy I'll pay more attention to this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    I've had bikes with 6700, 5800, 6800, 8000, and 9000. The 8000 and 9000 are pretty indistinguishable and more down to how clean/lubed each one is and how fresh the cables/housing is but 5800 was very noticeably "mushier" than 8000/9000 (I realize that 8000 is newer than 9000 but it's what I've had).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisthebeave View Post
    I've had bikes with 6700, 5800, 6800, 8000, and 9000. The 8000 and 9000 are pretty indistinguishable and more down to how clean/lubed each one is and how fresh the cables/housing is but 5800 was very noticeably "mushier" than 8000/9000 (I realize that 8000 is newer than 9000 but it's what I've had).
    What do you mean by "mushy"? Do you mean SBD fart smooth rather than defined clicks?