Garmin 605 map question
    RoadBikeReview Member

Garmin 605 map question

I am getting fed up with my 305 edge. I was looking at the 605 which can be purchased on line for $275.00 +/-

Some vendors sell it bundled with "City Streets" (US and Canada) or about $50.00 more. What does City Streets do? Doesn't the 605 come loaded with maps raw?

Thanks.
    Inch by inch, mile by mile, ounce by ounce, I am working on my belly; no more jelly-belly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Garmins don't come loaded with maps at all. you either need the map card, which gives it the same maps that you'd get on a nuvi or similar car model, or you can go with open source maps (I don't know the names, but others can say more).

FYI, actually using the maps on the bike is nowhere near as easy as using them on a nuvi.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    As pointed out above, there are plenty of opensource maps you can use.
    You can create your own maps or just download pre-compiled maps.

have a look at: garmin.openstreetmap.nl
    or just google "garmin openstreetmap", you will find plenty of maps

This site has good maps of europe and also a lot of instructions and help for maps:
    openmtbmap.org/download

hope this helps.
    Dan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I didn't have any luck with the importing instructions for assembling and converting Open Street Maps.

But this method does work, and is easy. There are pre-built maps available to download:

* Get a 4GB sdhc memory card. The Garmin manual says 2GB is the maximum, but it's been increased.
    (You might be able to fit the 500mb map on your original 705 drive if there's enough empty space. I haven't tried it.)

* plug your 705 in as a usb device. You'll have two mapped drives. One is the Garmin itself, the other is the sdhc card. Create a folder on the 4gb drive named "GARMIN". I added a text file named "4gb card.txt" just so I know which mapped drive I'm looking at.

* determine your latitute and longitude. Google "latitude and longitude" and pick your location off a map. For instance, Ohio is about -84 west and 39 north.

* daveh generates installable maps every few months, in different sizes and areas.

* see the daveh readme on selecting which map. He says his 2000mb maps will fit on a 2gb card, but they don't quite fit. The 1000mb ones will fit on a 2gb card easily, and the 2000mb on a 4gb card.

* The 1000mb -82 to 158 covers West Virginia east to Europe. The 500mb -93 to -85 covers Kansas City to Indianapolis for example.
    The maps all have the same detail, just a larger area on the bigger maps. And they all seem to be the same speed for panning and zooming.

* download the map you want, and save it on your computer. It'll take a while. You should try the 500mb map for your area first.

* copy it onto the GARMIN folder on your 705 4gb card. This is really slow for me, it takes a few hours to copy a 2000mb map. Copying files to the Garmin 705 is way, way slower than copying to a separate sd card reader.

* rename it to be gmapsupp.img. You can have other maps downloaded on the sdhc card, but only the map exactly named gmapsupp.img is usable by the 705. You can rename the current gmapsupp.img back to 1000mb--etc and rename a different map to gmapsupp.img if you want different coverage or to try a different map.

Keep the gmapbmap.img where it is already, on the 705 mapped drive. This base map is used if you zoom out too far, or pan off the edge of your downloaded map. And keep all your tcx and gpx files on the 705, too. The 4gb card is only for the maps.

* I like to click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on the Windows Tray before unplugging the 705.
    Boot your 705 and see the maps!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I follow courses all the time. I like to go out into unknown territory.

Using the maps to follow a .gpx Route:
    I've never had consistent luck using the .gpx Routes. The navigation often shortcuts or chops off the route. It's frustrating.

Instead, I always make a .tcx Course. It has to be copied to a "Courses" folder that needs to be created on the main 705 drive. Then the course is followed by selecting it from the Training button, not the Where To button. It works great.

It's very easy to export a .tcx course from ridewithgps.com. That's what I use.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    The biggest single advantage of Garmin's City Navigator mapset over freeware maps available is the millions of points of interest and being able to route to said.

If you're not routing to POIs on the fly or auto-routing at all save $100 and get a freeware topo map or what have you. Roads usually don't change that much. I have my entire state's topo map on my 4GB micro-SD as well as City Navigator...though the latest update to Training Center broke my CN.

Garmin: Always willing to help keep you from being able to use your device.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    You do realize that going from the 305 to the 605 you will lose both your heart rate monitor and cadence sensor, if those things matter to you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js1221 View Post
    You do realize that going from the 305 to the 605 you will lose both your heart rate monitor and cadence sensor, if those things matter to you?
    I do neither of the above. ^^^^^

I found another vendor online that has the 605 bundled with the City Nav for $10.00 more. I think I am going to go that way and play it safe.

Garmin's web page does not say anything about what maps are included since the 605 has been discontinued.

Thanks for the input guys....
    Inch by inch, mile by mile, ounce by ounce, I am working on my belly; no more jelly-belly.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by tomdecel View Post
    I do neither of the above. ^^^^^

I found another vendor online that has the 605 bundled with the City Nav for $10.00 more. I think I am going to go that way and play it safe.

Garmin's web page does not say anything about what maps are included since the 605 has been discontinued.

Thanks for the input guys....
    Edge units, unless otherwise specified, always ship with a worthless "map"set that has zero detail. For example I live in the state capitol, and there are 270,000 people+ here. There are only two roads shown on the baseline mapset. everything else is blank.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Edge units, unless otherwise specified, always ship with a worthless "map"set that has zero detail. .
    I use it to record where I've been more than the other way around as well as speed and distance stats. It is very easy (most of the time) to download a course from a comp for a ride and it will keep me pointed in the right direction. I bought it to replace a sports watch for $150.00 with the idea that if it did more, that would be a +.

Unfortunately it is getting very buggy and I have had to do a master reboot every few weeks or else it won't talk to my computers. I got my money's worth in the past two years.