Garmin Edge 500 back plate - broken tab?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Garmin Edge 500 back plate - broken tab?

Has anyone else had a mounting tab broken off from the backplate of the 500? I know at least 2 people with this issue. Garmin will not warrant it after 1 yr, and Garmin will not even allow the end user to buy what seems to be a simple backplate to replace it. I guess twisting the Garmin 500 on and off the bike eventually cause the plastic mounting tabs to break. El cheapo plastic. Sigh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Seems to be somewhat related to the mount used. More people using 3rd party aluminum mounts report tabs breaking than otherwise, or such has been my observation reading threads here.

I use a FlipLoc mount, which is made with nylon. Works exceptionally well, but has not caused a tab to break.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    I just gave a friend of mine my old 500. I'd used it for a couple of years and a co-worker had borrowed it until a tab broke. Anyway, since I'd never registered it, my friend did and got it repaired through Garmin's warranty. Which seems to pretty much top notch, they emailed him the morning they received the unit, and then again that same afternoon to let him know they'd shipped the repaired unit.
    #promechaniclife

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    Seems to be somewhat related to the mount used. More people using 3rd party aluminum mounts report tabs breaking than otherwise, or such has been my observation reading threads here.

I use a FlipLoc mount, which is made with nylon. Works exceptionally well, but has not caused a tab to break.
    True. K-Edge mounts eat Garmins frequently. I don't know if the new mount that has the plastic insert is any better but I gave away my K-Edge mounts after they destroyed 2 of my Garmins.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I just gave a friend of mine my old 500. I'd used it for a couple of years and a co-worker had borrowed it until a tab broke. Anyway, since I'd never registered it, my friend did and got it repaired through Garmin's warranty. Which seems to pretty much top notch, they emailed him the morning they received the unit, and then again that same afternoon to let him know they'd shipped the repaired unit.
    Mine is registered with Garmin. They know the serial# and date of purchase. I'm SOL with them. They said they could repair it if I sent it in, plus $90! And we all know all they'll do is replace the plastic plate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I'm using the Bar Fly 2.0 mount, it's all plastic. But I do take it on and off my bike at least once/day, sometimes twice.

But good tips on the K-Edge. I'll make sure to avoid it. Aluminum will eat plastic eh!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zindog View Post
    I'll try the plastic epoxy fix!

I did try superglue the tab in, but it broke off immediately at the first twist of entry!

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Mine is registered with Garmin. They know the serial# and date of purchase. I'm SOL with them. They said they could repair it if I sent it in, plus $90! And we all know all they'll do is replace the plastic plate.
    Not true. They send you a whole 'nother unit, usually a refurb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    Not true. They send you a whole 'nother unit, usually a refurb.
    Then I definitely won't want a refurb unit over my unit for $90.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Thanks for the info. I'm being WAY more careful removing and installing my Garmin after reading this.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015

Broken Garmin mount.... Billet Aluminum fix

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Has anyone else had a mounting tab broken off from the backplate of the 500? I know at least 2 people with this issue. Garmin will not warrant it after 1 yr, and Garmin will not even allow the end user to buy what seems to be a simple backplate to replace it. I guess twisting the Garmin 500 on and off the bike eventually cause the plastic mounting tabs to break. El cheapo plastic. Sigh.
    I have tried to create tabs out of glue...

dogearsplate

Nice product Dogears, I suspect it will be extremely popular.

As for me, I'm reticent to pierce my case with the screws. Would it be possible/safe to use a gel superglue or even a two part epoxy to permanently fasten the Dogear unit to my 500?

RoadBikeReview Member
    IMO, it could be designed to use double sticky tape of the type used to attach automotive trim and would be plenty strong enough.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    RaceWare sells what appears to be a broken tab fix that glues on: Garmin Tab Repair - Raceware Direct - Custom Cycle Components

I'd contact them to find out the details such as what glue to use.