Giant SLR 1 carbon wheel and tire bead failure - ruined?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Giant SLR 1 carbon wheel and tire bead failure - ruined?

I had a very weird failure yesterday. It appears that my tire's bead ripped away from the tire which caused the tube to press out of the wheel and deform the rim. The wall of the rim was pushed outward but did not crack. After relieving the tube pressure the bulge in the rim mostly corrected itself. However, you can see that it still slightly bulges*out. It might tough to see in the picture but if you run your finger over it there is a definitely bump outwards. My questions - is the wheel ruined/not safe? Can this bump be fixed? Has anyone else had a tire fail in this way?*

IMG_20190522_172954.jpgIMG_20190522_222420.jpgwheel1.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Did you roll over a sharp curb or cattle guard with low tire pressure?
    That looks like it is done to me, certainly if it bulges back out when you air the tire up.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Nope, didn't run over anything and I aired up the tires before my ride. I was actually going very slow before a hill. I think this failure happened when I applied pressure to start going up hill. Nothing abnormal..very confused.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Should be posted in 'wheels/tires' for obvious reasons. Tire is ruined. Wheel is ruined. Looks like a rim brake wheel, I'm gonna go w/ the heat damage. Rim got hot, bead pushed out due to tire pressure, this cause the bead of the tire to push over the edge of the rim.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I didn't see the wheel/tire forum - admins please move if you'd like.

I don't think it was heat damage. I was moving slow and not braking at this time and was not braking for any extended period prior.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Interesting...you'e lucky it was a rear wheel blowout. What pressure were you running & what weight are you? The rim is toast unfortunately.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by yankyfan100 View Post
    I didn't see the wheel/tire forum - admins please move if you'd like.

I don't think it was heat damage. I was moving slow and not braking at this time and was not braking for any extended period prior.
    I can't see any other reason that would cause that, except maybe a BIG impact. It could be from a prior ride as well.

Do you prefer/use a lot of rear brake when descending?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
    Interesting...you'e lucky it was a rear wheel blowout. What pressure were you running & what weight are you? The rim is toast unfortunately.
    Very lucky indeed! Pressure as around 100 and im around 175-180. Seem ok?

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I can't see any other reason that would cause that, except maybe a BIG impact. It could be from a prior ride as well.

Do you prefer/use a lot of rear brake when descending?
    Definitely a possibility but this bike has been used only on chicago lakefront trail which is quite smooth. It's Always possible I hit something and shrugged it off in the past.

Being in Chicago...it's super flat and rarely have significant descents. I usually try to distribute braking between front and rear brakes anyways.

Super bummed about the rim

I'll probably switch to alloy rim (at least in the rear). Any recommendations or helpful threads I should look at? I'd like something lightweight and somewhat affordable.

These seemed like a nice option. I wonder if they sell only rear wheels.
    https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collec...-28deep-22wide

RoadBikeReview Member
    Damn plastic wheels.

Did you use tire irons to mount that tire, or pinch the tube between the tire and rim? I wouldn't use those tires if they were given to me. I used one on a bike mounted on a trainer and it developed a large bulge where cords ripped after less than 10 hrs. riding time.
    Last edited by velodog; 05-23-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yankyfan100 View Post
    Very lucky indeed! Pressure as around 100 and im around 175-180. Seem ok?

Definitely a possibility but this bike has been used only on chicago lakefront trail which is quite smooth. It's Always possible I hit something and shrugged it off in the past.

I'll probably switch to alloy rim (at least in the rear). Any recommendations or helpful threads I should look at? I'd like something lightweight and somewhat affordable.
    You shouldn't be put off from using carbon wheels just because of one mishap. In general, carbon wheels these days are well designed, sturdy & very reliable. The cause for most blowouts is heat build up for carbon but that issue is of only concern if you're descending a mountain & braking hard continuously. Your weight & tire pressure is not an issue either. This could just be a random freak accident.