glitch in switch from mechanical to hydraulic braking
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

glitch in switch from mechanical to hydraulic braking

Greetings all,

I'm in the process of swapping out Ultegra mechanical shift and mechanical TRP Sprye brakes to Ultegra mechanical shifting with flat-mount hydraulic brakes, but I've run into an unanticipated problem.

The mounting bolt hole for the TRP Sprye mechanical is larger than that of the Ultegra hydraulic. The TRP mounting bolt uses of 5mm hex. Any bolt that would fit through the mounting hole would seem incompatible with the boss or whatever where the screw goes in is called. I could likely force the bolt through the visibly smaller Ultegra mounting hole, but that would make adjusting it a pain.

Would it be best to drill it out? Find a way to file it out to retain the oval shape for making adjustments? Mounting bolt with boss adapter? Aftermarket flat-mounts?

I bought the brakes via ebay and they came from China, so a return is not likely the better option. I just assumed bolt holes would be the same.

The bike is a carbon fiber Norco Threshold.

Thanks as always,
    Last edited by bleckb; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:15 AM.
    Bradley

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Do NOT drill anything. Sounds like your frame is post mount and your brakes are flat mount...is that correct?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Sounds like your frame is post mount and your brakes are flat mount...is that correct?
    I think flat, but this is new territory for me.

Since nothing ever seems to be easy, it would seem that my new ultegra calipers came with one flat mount (it seems via an adapter) and one post mount. I"m attaching pictures. The fork and chain/seat stay images are a bit blurry, but I think you can see what I'm working with.

20190630_153336.jpg
    20190630_153440.jpg
    20190630_153325.jpg
    Bradley

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Looks like post mount frame/fork and obviously flat mount calipers. Shimano make an adapter to go the other way but not what you need. You can either buy some new(old) calipers or a new frame/fork.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for that feedback. Certainly won't be going with a new frame and fork on this, so will have to visit the lbs and see what they can suggest.
    Bradley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
    I think flat, but this is new territory for me.

Since nothing ever seems to be easy, it would seem that my new ultegra calipers came with one flat mount (it seems via an adapter) and one post mount. I"m attaching pictures. The fork and chain/seat stay images are a bit blurry, but I think you can see what I'm working with.

Just to help clarify for you: both of your R8070 calipers are FLAT-mount, not post mount. On most bikes the front caliper usually uses the little metal shim-plate, while the rear caliper goes straight into the frame holes without a plate.

But neither of those is a post-mount caliper. And as cx already diagnosed, you do indeed have a post-mount frame. So you need a couple of these: https://glorycycles.com/shimano-br-r...brake-caliper/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for that link.
    Bradley