Glueless Patch Failures - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    You're not in charge of this thread! ...I'm taking over!
    You haven't been around if you never had a new tube with a 3" slash in it at a seam straight out of the box.
    BANNED

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    It just seems, to me, that throwing all these co2 cartridges, once flatted tubes and elephants into the land fill is just a big waste.
    Co2 cartridges are steel. They can and should be put out with your regular recyclables.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I've been patching tubes for years. I have tubes with multiple patches. I've never, not once had a glue on patch fail. They are permanent. There is no risk.

Now... I have had brand new tubes, right out of the box fail. I'd say there's more risk using a new tube.
    Yep, a patched tube is a known entity whereas the new tube is an unknown, only expected to be in good order. And it's this reason why a patched tube is preferred to be used as a spare by some.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Co2 cartridges are steel. They can and should be put out with your regular recyclables.
    No argument here.
    Too old to ride plastic

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    So stick a spare in and patch the tube when you get home, pump up the tube to check your work and carry it for use in your next flat. I still don't see the risk.

And what about a bad day that brings 2, 3 or more flats, how man tubes need be carried before the ride can be considered risk free.

It just seems, to me, that throwing all these co2 cartridges, once flatted tubes and elephants into the land fill is just a big waste.
    Iím right with you, up to a point. A punctured tube that already has a patch clearly has bad juju. It needs to be culled from the herd.

Banned Sock Puppet
    But what about the CO2 that will eventually rise into the atmosphere and contribute to climate change?
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    But what about the CO2 that will eventually rise into the atmosphere and contribute to climate change?
    Do U drive a car, fly in a plane, get mail, go to a store, on and on, that's where all the co2 is coming from, not a little co2 charger.
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Do U drive a car, fly in a plane, get mail, go to a store, on and on, that's where all the co2 is coming from, not a little co2 charger.
    Understood. I guess I needed an emoji in there to clarify it was a tongue in cheek remark. Kind of like the difference between throwing a bike tube and an elephant into a landfill.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I dunno.

But IF you're using a co2 cartridge it makes zero sense to put it in a landfill.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Iím right with you, up to a point. A punctured tube that already has a patch clearly has bad juju. It needs to be culled from the herd.
    Superstition. Talking about flats doesn't cause flats either.
    Too old to ride plastic

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Do you throw away the tire too, since the puncture passed through it into the tube. Bad juju started with the tire.

In fact, probably should throw away the whole bike, juju and all.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Do you throw away the tire too, since the puncture passed through it into the tube. Bad juju started with the tire.

In fact, probably should throw away the whole bike, juju and all.
    There you go. Another excuse for n+1!

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Superstition. Talking about flats doesn't cause flats either.
    No, but wishing flats on someone else.........oh, never mind.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Update:
    Based on suggestions on this thread, I pulled the offending glueless patch off the puncture, carefully cleaned and repatched the puncture using a patch from a newer patch kit. Seems to have worked fine and running it on a rear tire. I was going to use a Rema patch kit, but the liquid vulcanizer dried up after years of disuse.

Iíll continue carrying a spare tube and patch kit, but now will replace the tube on the road and save the punctured tube in case I get another flat. Will also change the patch kit every season as the older patches donít seem to adhere as well (chemically change over time as someone pointed out). Seems like everyone has some kind of redundancy built into what they carry for the rare bad day.

BTW, amazing what you can get into a ride case that fits into one jersey pocket these days: tube, patch kit, boot, lever, multi-tool and torque bits with room to spare. iPhone, ID, credit card and cash goes into a Sealine waterproof case that fits neatly into a second jersey pocket.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123