grease on chainring bolts

Printable View

• 09-19-2004
    rollinrob
    grease on chainring bolts
    So it has been raining here in No Cal today and since I am bored I have decided to do a complete cleaning of my drivetrain. I was able to take off both the outer and middle chainring and get them all super clean along with the chain and cassette .
    I am getting ready to put them back on. My question is should I put a dab of white grease to the bolt so the will not freeze (I probably will not do this again till the spring) or should I put them on dry? Thanks for any reply...
  • 09-19-2004
    Henry Chinaski
    yes - grease
  • 09-20-2004
    Kerry Irons
    Of course
    Steel bolts/nuts should be greased to prevent corrosion and to insure that the bolt can be tightened appropriately. Aluminum bolts/nuts MUST be greased as they will otherwise spall easily and you may never get them apart without damage. IME and IMO, ALL metal to metal contact surfaces should be greased, whether they are threads or simply smooth surfaces.
  • 09-20-2004
    Spunout
    OTOH, I make sure the outside contact surfaces of the bolts are totally degreased to ensure a non-creaky drivetrain. YMMV.
  • 09-20-2004
    Fogdweller
    Listen to Kerry
    Yes, all threads demand grease or else they wont tighten correctly. Likewise, contact surfaces between metal should be greased as well, or at least oiled. Case in point: Using a torque wrench to set the screws on a threadless stem. Say the manuf. wants you to put 9nm on each bolt. If the threads are greased and the head isn't, the friction produced between the stem and the head of the bolt will give you an incorrect reading. When the wrench finally clicks, is the it 9nm at the head of the bolt or spread out evenly across the threads where it should be? Also helps to protect against rust.
  • 09-21-2004
    bikeboy389
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Steel bolts/nuts should be greased to prevent corrosion and to insure that the bolt can be tightened appropriately. Aluminum bolts/nuts MUST be greased as they will otherwise spall easily and you may never get them apart without damage. IME and IMO, ALL metal to metal contact surfaces should be greased, whether they are threads or simply smooth surfaces.

I would make an exception to this in just two places--at either end of a threadless-system stem. Yes, grease the bolts, but I recommend that you leave the surfaces that contact the handlebars and steering tube clean. Maybe Kerry has carbon bars and steerers and therefore doesn't think of this as a metal-to-metal contact point, but it sure is on my bike, and manufacturer's instructions say leave it dry.

That's pretty much my only exception--places where you aren't really in danger of galling or freezing, and you need the friction for the function. I grease the seatpost because it tends to get wet and nasty and will seize on you in a heartbeat.