Great little $25 Torque Wrench
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Great little $25 Torque Wrench

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Just pick up this little bad boy to adjust and dial in the fit on my new supersix. This has 2-10NM measurements and includes most/all bits needed for a bike.

I just used it to lower my stem on my steerer fork and realized that 5NM is actually tigher than i thought it'd be.

Anyone else use this? What do u guys use for a torque wrench on your bikes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like Beam style torque wrenches for lower torque fasteners, nice choice!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use the following Venzo VPT toque wrench for all my bike needs, works great!

https://www.amazon.com/Venzo-Bicycle...-1-spons&psc=1
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    I have a digital CDI/Snap On torque wrench for my bikes and car needs for the lower values, for upper values I have Tekton 1/2 and 3/8 sockets.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Several years ago, the company I was working at ordered a bunch of inexpensive, Chinese-made torque wrenches to use on the production floor. As the guy in charge of calibrating them, I found that not a single one was calibrated, and some were off by ±25%. Fully 1/3 of them would not accurately calibrate throughout their stated range, and were returned. Of the remaining 2/3, all broke within 1 year. After that, we never ordered cheap-sh!t torque wrenches again.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Several years ago, the company I was working at ordered a bunch of inexpensive, Chinese-made torque wrenches to use on the production floor. As the guy in charge of calibrating them, I found that not a single one was calibrated, and some were off by ±25%. Fully 1/3 of them would not accurately calibrate throughout their stated range, and were returned. Of the remaining 2/3, all broke within 1 year. After that, we never ordered cheap-sh!t torque wrenches again.
    so what r u trying to say?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Were they clicker or beam style?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

[REDACTED]
    Hmmm. These can't be any worse than my Park Tool torque wrench. It has worked fine for a few years, but now it has become obviously inaccurate torquing a lot higher than indicated.

Clicker is nice, but I'm inclined to think a beam style would be a better choice and less likely to go out of cal.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Were they clicker or beam style?
    Clicker type. What I'm trying to say is this: unless it comes with a calibration certificate, it's NOT calibrated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Clicker type. What I'm trying to say is this: unless it comes with a calibration certificate, it's NOT calibrated.
    So basically every clicker style torque wrench under $200 msrp and every beam style torque wrench is a fraud?

[REDACTED]
    And even then, they don't stay calibrated forever. Dropping it doesn't help either.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    So basically every clicker style torque wrench under $200 msrp and every beam style torque wrench is a fraud?
    Keep in mind that a 25% error would mean that a 5nm reading could be anywhere from 3.75nm to 6.25nm. My guess is not many are this bad.

[REDACTED]
    So then what do you recommend?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    You should have said that then.

Because what you actually said was that one single brand of cheapo wrench you ordered wasn't. And of course you would never make sweeping generalizations about everything based on a sample size of 1, right?

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    So then what do you recommend?
    Craftsman would be a good place to look....less expensive, calibrated, guaranteed, better built. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****, you know...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree, cheap clickers can be a problem. People use them as ratchets, drop them etc, not good. Beam type torque wrenches really don't get less calibrated with typical use which is why I prefer them for lighter loads. Higher loads it's difficult to read and apply torque, thats where a good clicker is useful IMHO.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

[REDACTED]
    Craftsman would be a good place to look....less expensive, calibrated, guaranteed, better built. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****, you know...
    Craftsman? You mean the same Craftsman that Sears used to sell and now Lowe's does? Who makes them now anyway?

How about Shimano PRO:

https://www.amazon.com/PRO-Adjustabl...%2C136&sr=8-23

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Link to craftsman torque wrench that works for a range of bike parts thats within 200% of the price of OP?

And about 90% of the bolts on a bike is <10NM. Are you saying the $25 one in the OP is **** for that?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    No, That is not true. You can get the cheaper models of the major brands, like CDI, which is a Snap On brand, some are sub 200, and come calibrated.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    No, That is not true. You can get the cheaper models of the major brands, like CDI, which is a Snap On brand, some are sub 200, and come calibrated.
    Looking around, none of these are for small adjustments. They are all 20nm and higher.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Looking around, none of these are for small adjustments. They are all 20nm and higher.
    You are right, I forgot how much I paid for it.. but this is what I have. for my lower value torque settings. Keep in mind, I bought this for both my bike and car (very specific torque as well as angle specs for the transmission pan bolts on my old AMG C63, note the picture show angles, but the unit does not actually support that, I have a basic angle gauge. Torque specs for the bolts were 15nm and 90 degrees per bolt. obviously 90 is easy to visualize, but there were other bolts that were 35 degrees. They are TTY bolts, torque to yield, they stretch and are one time use only)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    i've used this wrench on over 40 bolts now. And have ridden 100 miles. I'm doing adjustments on stem height, handlebar angle, saddle fore/aft, saddle angle, seatpost height.

Can't recommend it enough.