GRX 810 vs Ultegra 8000 shifters and brakes
    RoadBikeReview Member

GRX 810 vs Ultegra 8000 shifters and brakes

Is there any real difference between Ultegra and GRX shifter/brakes other than naming and price? From what I can tell online, the GRX is more expensive with nothing to show for change in performance and my understanding is either will work with the GRX or Ultegra derailleurs the same.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm pretty sure that the reviews I read stated that the shifter hood has a different grip pattern and shape, and the actual shifters have a textured feel.

Here you go, scroll down and you'll see: https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-grx/

Banned Sock Puppet
    I would really like to see Shimano attack the cable eating shifter problem before they go to the next generation of products. This is one reason I have no interest in going to a 1X groupo. Two gears in front means less shifting in back and more time between cable changes. The other reason I have no interest in 1X is that chain drops in front are virtually non-existent since the 5800/6800 generation.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I would really like to see Shimano attack the cable eating shifter problem before they go to the next generation of products. This is one reason I have no interest in going to a 1X groupo. Two gears in front means less shifting in back and more time between cable changes. The other reason I have no interest in 1X is that chain drops in front are virtually non-existent since the 5800/6800 generation.
    Yeah, I don't think there's any reason I would consider 1x - the 2X GRX with the 31tooth ring is sweet though.

BTW, they did fix the cable problem - it's called Di2
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Yeah, I don't think there's any reason I would consider 1x - the 2X GRX with the 31tooth ring is sweet though.
    Well now, I would certainly like to find out if the GRX 2X will work with a 5800 or 6800 front derailleur and a Hollowtech II BB. Would I need a new FD? And if I need a new FD, is the actuation ratio the same?

BTW, they did fix the cable problem - it's called Di2
    Sorry, I'm not sold on that one yet. Once my Shimano shifters wear out, I may go with SRAM after that. Yeah, yeah, I know what you Campy people are thinking, but I don't feel like having to change out my freehubs too.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well now, I would certainly like to find out if the GRX 2X will work with a 5800 or 6800 front derailleur and a Hollowtech II BB. Would I need a new FD? And if I need a new FD, is the actuation ratio the same?
    The GRX shifters are supposed to be interchangable with Ultegra, but that doesn't necessarily mean a DR designed for 50/34 on the low side would or would not work with a 48/31 crank. The crank is hollow tech II design so I am guessing it would work with the same BB, unless there is a different width for some reason.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Banned Sock Puppet
    The GRX shifters are supposed to be interchangable with Ultegra, but that doesn't necessarily mean a DR designed for 50/34 on the low side would or would not work with a 48/31 crank. The crank is hollow tech II design so I am guessing it would work with the same BB, unless there is a different width for some reason.
    It looks like there is a 46/30 option too:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...speed-crankset

Now I just have to see if there is enough seat tube clearance for this FD. This one is listed as a 10-speed FD? Why does it matter how many rear speeds there are for a FD???

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ont-derailleur

'brifter' is a lame word.

Sorry, I'm not sold on that one yet. Once my Shimano shifters wear out, I may go with SRAM after that. Yeah, yeah, I know what you Campy people are thinking, but I don't feel like having to change out my freehubs too.
    If you go 12 speed SRAM you're gonna have to change wheels/freehubs anyway. I would never ride Campy at this point. Did it once, won't go back. Di2 is great most of the time, but I've had to work through enough problems with it that I wouldn't buy it for myself. I'll be all over AXS etap on my next bike.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    If you go 12 speed SRAM you're gonna have to change wheels/freehubs anyway.
    Unless I find some 11-speed SRAM new/old stock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It looks like there is a 46/30 option too:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...speed-crankset

Now I just have to see if there is enough seat tube clearance for this FD. This one is listed as a 10-speed FD? Why does it matter how many rear speeds there are for a FD???

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ont-derailleur
    the difference is probably the rings are closer together. If you remember, the current generation of cranks have them further apart by a little bit to keep the chain from rubbing on the big ring when cross chaining small / small (I think). This became a thing with the first Gen 11 speed, not an issue with the 10speed that I recall. It's interesting they made different ring choices only on different cranks. The 600 is heavier than the 800 version despite smaller rings, probably analogous 105 vs Ultegra level crank in road cranks, maybe Tiagre vs Ultegra since they tout the 600 as 10 speed which is what the 600rear DR is I think.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's what I learned after some reading both the link Wetworks posted and on the Shimano website.

On the cranks, if a person uses any of the 2X GRX cranks they probably will want to use the GRX front DR as the chainline is 46.9 vs 43.5 on the road cranks so set up with a road 11 speed front could be a problem. Otherwise the stuff is compatible with current Shimano line up from Tiagra through Dura Ace. The 400 series is comparable to Tiagra, 600 ~ 105, and 800 ~ Ultegra. The 600 series cranks are not advertised as Hollowtech like the 800 but use the same BB and are apparently available in either 10 or 11 speed versions although I still don't understand why there would be a difference between them other than spacing between the rings. The 600 crank is 100 grams heavier than the 800. I have not seen any 10 speed versions available only on the Shimano website.

The 800 calipers are essentially the same as the Ultegra with a different logo. The levers are shaped different to make it easier to hold onto them when riding on the hoods in rough stuff, and have a grippier texture on the top.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Not to suggest you should get Campy and do it, but an 11 speed shimano hub and cassette would be fine with Campy.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Not to suggest you should get Campy and do it, but an 11 speed shimano hub and cassette would be fine with Campy.
    I did not know this would work. Will it shift just as well?

I have to wonder why CXWrench doesn't like Campy. There must be some servicing issue with it.

Considering how well my Shimano groupos shift, I will probably just continue to put up with changing cables every 1500-2000 miles or so and change horses if/when one of the shifters breaks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I did not know this would work. Will it shift just as well?

I have to wonder why CXWrench doesn't like Campy. There must be some servicing issue with it.

Considering how well my Shimano groupos shift, I will probably just continue to put up with changing cables every 1500-2000 miles or so and change horses if/when one of the shifters breaks.
    Yes it works perfectly. Or so everyone who's done it says.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I would never ride Campy at this point. Did it once, won't go back.
    Just curious why don't you like Campy - besides the cultish loyalty behind it?