handlebar width

Thread: handlebar width

RoadBikeReview Member

handlebar width

can anyone give me a general rule of thumb on what size of handlebar to go with. Does it have anything to do with chest size/shoulder width as to what size (such as Center to Center) handle bar you set up on the bike?

thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Width guideline

Quote Originally Posted by roy harley
    can anyone give me a general rule of thumb on what size of handlebar to go with. Does it have anything to do with chest size/shoulder width as to what size (such as Center to Center) handle bar you set up on the bike?
    The general guideline is that the bar ends should be the same width as your shoulders (to the forward bone tips). Narrower bars are a bit more aero, and wider bars make it a bit easier to breath. Personal preference within a fairly large range.

RoadBikeReview Member

Starting point

Thanks Kerry, Would you start with a bar that is should width wide and from there decide (preference) if I want it to be more aero or more room on the bar for hands and opeing up the chest. I think my current bar is to narrow. I will have to measure my chest but my current bar is 40cm wide. My hands don't seem to have enough real estate on the bar when I am climbing to help me relax my upper body on longer climbs.

n00bsauce
    Where do you grab the bars when climbing? Most people grab the hoods when out of the saddle (some on the drops). Seated climbing is all over the place. If you don't have enough room when on the tops then a wider bar will give you more real estate. If your room problem is on the hoods or just behind the hoods then a wider bar won't necessarilly help. You would need a bar with a longer forward extension before the sweep. Bars come in all kinds of sizes besides width. Some have more or less drop. There are many styles of bends. Some have flat tops. Some have more or less forward extension. It's so personal that it approaches saddles in complexity. You just have to try and figure out what doesn't work for you with your current bar and find a bar that corrects the problems.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson