• 12-12-2018
    mml373
    Handlebars and Stems for Vintage Bikes (1980s/1990s)
    Cycling technology has left me in the dust. I really don't care for all the new materials tech, new handlebar shapes, and new parts in general. The simple old tech is adequate and preferable for this non-elite, fast/fitness cyclist.

I'm riding on a '93 Serotta and a soon-to-be-refinished 1987 Specialized Sirrus. Best bikes on the road, for me...even preferable to my lighter 2011 bike with smooth SRAM Force components. :-)

Does anyone (besides Cinelli) make new bars and stems that fit these older bikes? Thanks in advance.
  • 12-12-2018
    velodog
    Nitto makes some beautiful aluminum components, stems, handlebars and seatposts too.

NITTO LTDĀ*NITTO
  • 12-13-2018
    xxl
    Velo Orange also offers decent stuff for older rides.

https://velo-orange.com/
  • 12-13-2018
    Deering
    Also look at Rivendell Bicycle Works

https://www.rivbike.com/
  • 12-13-2018
    newman
    "More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on."

Too bad there's something called the electoral college.

And HRC never had a husband that didn't cheat on her
  • 12-13-2018
    blackfrancois
    i only go with vintage cinelli. they've never let me down. 64-38 bars for the win.
  • 12-13-2018
    MR_GRUMPY
    You can find many quill stems on Amazon. Most quill stems take 26.0mm bars. Old Cinelli stems take 26.4mm Cinelli bars. In the late 90's, or so, Cinelli switched to 26.0mm to match everyone else. (so you have to be careful)
  • 12-14-2018
    pmf
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    You can find many quill stems on Amazon. Most quill stems take 26.0mm bars. Old Cinelli stems take 26.4mm Cinelli bars. In the late 90's, or so, Cinelli switched to 26.0mm to match everyone else. (so you have to be careful)

Bingo. I bought a Cinelli 1A stem for a bike i was building up for my wife and then found that the clamp was 26.4, not 26.0. I was told that you could get 26.0 bars and use a shim, but it was probably a better idea to find 26.4 bars. I searched far and wide and found a used Cinelli Giro d'Italia bar that worked. Put the bike together for my wife. Eddy Merckx steel frame. Shiny Campy 11-speed Athena. She hates it.
  • 12-14-2018
    xxl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newman View Post
    "More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on."

Too bad there's something called the electoral college.

And HRC never had a husband that didn't cheat on her

Too bad for America, then, if one is of the opinion that America should get the government that more people wanted than didn't.

We can agree that Trump, and Hillary's spouse, cheated on their spouses...though Trump cheated on every one of the three spouses he's ever had.

But really, if'n you want to discuss politics stuff, this ain't the thread to do it; this one's about handlebars and stems for older bikes. As for my sig line, though, you'll just have to live with it.
  • 12-14-2018
    QuiQuaeQuod
    Quote:

Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Nitto makes some beautiful aluminum components, stems, handlebars and seatposts too.

Nitto is super, super high quality, and beautifully finished. I have a stem on an old bike, love it. If I were building up an older bike, I would go with it for sure.
  • 12-14-2018
    No Time Toulouse
    I'd bet that Nitto is a bunch of commie pinkos.......