Having a problem threading shifter cable on a rear 6700 Ultegra shifter?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

Question Having a problem threading shifter cable on a rear 6700 Ultegra shifter?

Is there a trick to get the cable through the shifter? I can't seem to get it to go through. The path is clear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    you sure you're not trying to thread brake cable into the shifter hole?
    brake cable is very slightly thicker in diameter than shifter cable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

sometimes

i have to get out the flashlight and magnifying glass to make sure i am getting it in there. the hole is really small and the cable end has to sometimes be gingerly finageled into the opening. also of course you need to make sure the shifter has been tweaked to be in the position equal to the smallest cog.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    I've just redone both gear & brake cables on both 6700 Ultegra shifters on my bike. Like others have said, you have to make sure it is set to the highest gear (smallest cog, small lever). But then it wasn't difficult to thread through. I was using uprated Dura-Ace 9000 (polymer coated) cables & outers, as I thought it worth 'upgrading' whilst I took the trouble to redo. The only problem I had is that the polymer on the rear brake cable frayed a little when I was faffing about getting it set up (i.e. I didn't just thread it in, tighten & finish (so probably that was my fault). That said, gearchanging efforts are much lower than before & brake feel much improved - I can't say if that is due to the uprated cables or just using new ones, but it is a pleasing end result. There are good videos on youtube for this, as well as useful information from Shimano (si.shimano.com)

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by eflayer2 View Post
    i have to get out the flashlight and magnifying glass to make sure i am getting it in there. the hole is really small and the cable end has to sometimes be gingerly finageled into the opening. also of course you need to make sure the shifter has been tweaked to be in the position equal to the smallest cog.
    You're old!
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!