Headset and bb bearings...
    RoadBikeReview Member

Headset and bb bearings...

Hi everyone.

Picked up an SW Tarmac sl6 recently.... frame, fork and seat post only. I have all the components and drivetrain except for:

1. Headset
    2. Bb bearings
    3. Direct mount brakes.

What do you recommend for headset? Cost? Does Spesh still use cane creek?

Ceramic bb bearings? Recommendations? Cost?

Debating between eebrakes (which Iíve used for years on my other bikes ) or Dura ace? Unfortunately my current brakes are not direct mount.

Ty!
    EyeGuy

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Not sure about what Specialized uses OEM but CC are great. I would never waste money on ceramic bearings for anything, definitely not a bottom bracket. Max rpm for most people is right around 100-120, too slow to benefit from ceramic. The bb bearings don't get a pure radial load so they tend to wear races faster. The only positive is that they are very round and very consistent. They also don't like to get dirty which happens on every bike.

The ee brakes are fantastic, pretty much the only non big 3 brake I would use.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Not sure about what Specialized uses OEM but CC are great. I would never waste money on ceramic bearings for anything, definitely not a bottom bracket. Max rpm for most people is right around 100-120, too slow to benefit from ceramic. The bb bearings don't get a pure radial load so they tend to wear races faster. The only positive is that they are very round and very consistent. They also don't like to get dirty which happens on every bike.

The ee brakes are fantastic, pretty much the only non big 3 brake I would use.
    Ty Cxwrench. Always informative feedback! 👍 what bb bearings would you recommend then?
    EyeGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post
    Ty Cxwrench. Always informative feedback! 👍 what bb bearings would you recommend then?
    The regular ones from SRAM are fine IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I highly recommend Hawk Racing BB bearings. CC or other for the headset. I wouldnít waste money on the EE Brakes. They look like crap (experiment made in ones garage), are over priced, and donít stop any better than Dura Ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    I highly recommend Hawk Racing BB bearings. CC or other for the headset. I wouldnít waste money on the EE Brakes. They look like crap (experiment made in ones garage), are over priced, and donít stop any better than Dura Ace.
    They work very well and if someone wants something different they're really the only option. Most people think they look cool. In the end it's up to Cni2i so it doesn't matter if someone thinks they look good or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Personally, I love the looks of the eebrakes. Have had different generations of them on my bikes. Agreed that their aesthetics may not agree with everyone, but that's actually why I like them...unique and polarizing looks.

As for function, they have worked great for me...strong braking with very good modulation. Also, I appreciate how easy it is to adjust/center them, especially the newer generation ones G3 and G4. Agreed however that they are damn pricey and aren't necessarily better than dura ace...but that's the price I guess you/I have to pay to have light, great performing and unique-looking brakes.

I ended up with a new CC headset and decided to use my existing ceramic bearings (from my SL5) to save a bit of money. Below is a pic of the eebrakes (direct mount) mounted.

Thank you all for your feed backs! MySL6eebrakes.jpg
    EyeGuy

Neophyte
    They better stop good for that price! I can't imagine they stop any better than DA brakes.

Regarding direct mount, there are also the Bontrager Speed Stop brakes, right? Those aren't cheap either, though. I had those on a Domane that I test rode for a week and they worked fine...