Headset Fit, Integrated Headset Binding on Scattante XRL Crown Race Diameters Milling
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Headset Fit, Integrated Headset Binding on Scattante XRL Crown Race Diameters Milling

Yes Long heading, but I just wanted to be very specific. So I've got this old Performance road frame with a hybrib fork; Alu Steerer/Carbon Blades.
    I've got several various Top Caps, and a couple of Cane Creek(CC) Forty bearings, and one crown race pretty sure CC.
    I had first tried a different crown race that actually went on the steerer no problem. Got all the parts on, but when adjusting the top cap, headset would go from loose to binding with minimal turn. So added shims on top of bearing under bearing cover. Still an issue.
    Finally thought maybe it's a crown race issue. But with the CC crown race doesn't fit on steerer, Gets stuck trying to install.
    So questions
    1. Is there more than 1 size crown race diameter. I think I saw somewhre 28.6 besides the 30mm crwon race diameter.
    Or perhaps weird bearing pitch, and not most common 36° 45°

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oberwil View Post
    Yes Long heading, but I just wanted to be very specific. So I've got this old Performance road frame with a hybrib fork; Alu Steerer/Carbon Blades.
    I've got several various Top Caps, and a couple of Cane Creek(CC) Forty bearings, and one crown race pretty sure CC.
    I had first tried a different crown race that actually went on the steerer no problem. Got all the parts on, but when adjusting the top cap, headset would go from loose to binding with minimal turn. So added shims on top of bearing under bearing cover. Still an issue.
    Finally thought maybe it's a crown race issue. But with the CC crown race doesn't fit on steerer, Gets stuck trying to install.
    So questions
    1. Is there more than 1 size crown race diameter. I think I saw somewhre 28.6 besides the 30mm crwon race diameter.
    You need to have the bearings that match the headset, not "most common." And then we can get into a discussion about the wisdom of forks with Al steerers. Lots of stories about failures.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    The majority of crown races need to be pounded on, they aren't a 'slip fit', they're an interference fit.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oberwil View Post
    So questions
    RE-reading your post, yes, there are different crown race seat diameters. Back in the day it was JIS 27.0 mm and "ISO" 26.4 mm. Now with larger steerer tubes/head tubes, the crown race seat has to match. And as CX said, a typical crown race has to be installed with a firm "bang" or two. In most cases, if it is a slip fit it is the wrong size. And that could easily explain what you are experiencing.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Can you see if it's the bottom of the fork (crown race problem) or the top cap that's causing the problem? I worked on an old Klein today and had to put a 2.5mm headset spacer under the top cap so the cap wouldn't rub. There is no split compression ring on those old frames and the cap they guy is using has a bunch of space where it would normally be pushing down on the split ring. Should be easy to figure out.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    It's 30mm diameter, which is more common modern. Definitely not the top cap. I've tried various variations with compression rings, spacers etc...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    This is an Integrated headset. There are no cups. 36° 45° is the more common size bearing. There are headsets that take a 36° 36° angular contact bearing & Campagnolo uses a 45° 45° I believe.
    I had a shop look at this, and they concluded that since it's a Performance brand bike, They had a proprietary headset OEM installed. I think I read that there is also a Japanese standard bearing dimension. Probably that, and maybe similar to Fuji which they owned.
    What's your thoughts on this??