Headset sizing advice
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Headset sizing advice

I have a 2005 Salsa Campeon frameset that I built up w/ a Cane Creek IS2 headset. The problem is that the internal parts/bearing are exposed as opposed to being hidden. When I ordered the headset, I went w/ the cheapest one. But after looking around, I noticed that there are different sizes of insertion measurement. What is this measurement? Anyone have advice for me? Is it a problem that the internal parts are slightly (2-3mm) exposed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

something wrong..

You should contact Salsa and be sure that the frame requires an IS standard headset. There are NO differences in IS headsets. They are made to the same standard. There is always a 2-3mm gap between the fork and the head tube, but the bearings should always be full covered by the head tube. If the side of the lower bearing is exposed below the head tube, it's not properly seated and something is wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the advice. I called Salsa earlier but I think they are still closed.

Jan 2007
    There are differences in IS-2 headsets.
    http://www.canecreek.com/is-2.html
    There are tall and short versions.
    1-1/8 inch (tall)
    1-1/8 inch (short)

Integrated headset design is a bad thing according to Chris King:
    http://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_he...explain_2.html

All bicycle frames that use integrated headsets will ultimately have substantial performance and reliability problems due to the inherent flaws in this design. The largest flaw is a bearing system that does not positively attach the bearing to the frame, leaving the bearing to "float" resulting in wear and impact damage to the frame. As an additional complication, each manufacturer seems to be doing their own thing, with no real standardization to date. As a result, there are multiple bearing types and sizes (some of which have been discontinued with no replacement options) and the frame builders and bearing makers are not all working from the same drawings.