Help figuring out Shimano hose type
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016

Help figuring out Shimano hose type

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what type of hose is currently on my bike. The hose doesn't have any markings saying it's a BH90 or BH59. I guess I chopped off the exact model a few years ago when I installed it. The only text I can find is gold text saying "Shimano high powered brake hose". On one of my other hoses that I know is a BH90 it has the same text and in the same style. So if the BH90 is the only one with this text it must be a BH90. Does anyone know if any other hose types also have those markings?

I'm currently replacing my levers with GRX levers but keeping the BR-RS785 calipers. This should work with a BH90 hose correct? The calipers were originally meant to be used with the BH59 hoses but from my understanding the hose type doesn't matter and will only make a slight difference in lever feel.

Thanks,
    Alex

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    All of the GRX levers call for BH90 hose and the BR-RS785 calipers call for the BH59 hose. I try to always keep levers and calipers matched with hose type, so I can't speak to the results from mixing two types. The BH90 hose uses silver barbs and the BH59 uses gold, if that helps you identify what you currently have on the bike. Both hoses use the same olives. Keep in mind that the BH90 hose has a smaller I.D.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can use either hose, it just changes the feel a bit like you mentioned. You just need to make sure the barb insert that you use matches the hose you are using because of the difference in ID. The OD is the same.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by omgBikes View Post
    All of the GRX levers call for BH90 hose and the BR-RS785 calipers call for the BH59 hose.
    I'm starting to wonder if this is the rim brake caliper "pull ratio" argument from 10 years ago. I remember people saying that Shimano shifters were incompatible with SRAM calipers due to the pull ratio but I couldn't feel a difference when I swapped out my Shimano calipers to SRAM ones.

I installed the GRX front brake/lever with a BH90 hose and did a bleed. I'm getting a solid lever feel so it seems good to go.

The BH90 hose uses silver barbs and the BH59 uses gold, if that helps you identify what you currently have on the bike.
    Good call, I'll disconnect to check and assuming the correct barb was used I can identify it.
    Last edited by alxrmrs; 1 Week Ago at 10:47 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    I checked the barbs on the rear brake and it is indeed a BH90.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alxrmrs View Post
    I checked the barbs on the rear brake and it is indeed a BH90.
    that will work fine with those calipers. I'm using that hose with those calipers on a back up/vacation/trainer gravel bike with 8020 shifters - no issues at all.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection