Help with a first purchase.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

Help with a first purchase.

Having originally decided to buy a Spesh Allez 16 cheap and upgrade where necessary, I was told ths was not a good idea.

Thus, I went browsing and quickly came across this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...21918#features

It seems a far better option with tiagra groupset for a little more.

Any help would be appreciated, ASAP as it will soon go out of stock.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonCyclist1
    Having originally decided to buy a Spesh Allez 16 cheap and upgrade where necessary, I was told ths was not a good idea.

Thus, I went browsing and quickly came across this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...21918#features

It seems a far better option with tiagra groupset for a little more.

Any help would be appreciated, ASAP as it will soon go out of stock.
    Note that only the large is still available, so work with Evans on making sure that's the right size for you. IF it is and the bike is comfortable on a test ride, IMO the specs are decent for the price (about $800 USD).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    The most important thing in this price range is fit and comfort, not components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    The size is fine, I went to my local shop. So the fact it has Tiagra rather than Sora doesn't make a difference? I can't see any other improvements over the Specializws Allez 16 2010.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonCyclist1
    The size is fine, I went to my local shop. So the fact it has Tiagra rather than Sora doesn't make a difference? I can't see any other improvements over the Specializws Allez 16 2010.
    IMO/E the two main differences between these two groups are shifting methods and going to Tiagra's 9 spd (versus Sora's 8). Sora shifters employ a thumb tab used to upshift (to smaller cogs/ rings) that's difficult to operate from the drops, while Tiagra uses an inner lever for upshifts. Both groups use the same outer lever for downshifts.

Sora is an entry level group, thus designed more for beginning riders who (generally speaking) don't ride in the drops, so the thumb tab isn't of major concern. If you aren't concerned about the shifting mechanism or the additional gear in back, the first bike you looked at is a decent entry level bike. What members were telling you is to not buy a bike that you want to upgrade as soon as you purchase it. In that case, it is better to initially buy the better bike.

I suggest test riding both, back to back, then deciding if the upgrades on the more expensive bike are worth the price.

EDIT: I noticed in your other post that you mention Shimano 2300 (not Sora) for the other bike. They're essentially the same, so what I've offered here still applies.
    Last edited by PJ352; 01-25-2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: addition...