HELP, Need Chain-Cleaning Device Advice!!

View Poll Results: Which chain cleaner works best?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pedro's Chain Machine

1 9.09%
  • Park Chain Gang

3 27.27%
  • FinishLine Chain Cleaner

0 0%
  • other

7 63.64%
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003

Lightbulb HELP, Need Chain-Cleaning Device Advice!!

Okay, so I'm finally going to give in and buy a chain cleaning device, one of those nifty gizmos that you clamp on your chain, fill with cleaner/lube and it scrubs and lubes for you while you give the medals a couple spins... Which is best?
    It seems that there are three that look worthwhile, one by Park, Pedro's, and FinishLine. Each claims to be the best chain cleaner ever - but which is really the best? They can all be had for about the same price... (+/- $25 with lube)
    Please post any opinions, my chain needs some love and I'm now maintaining too many bikes to do them all the old fashioned-way, besides, it would cut into my riding time! Many thanks,
    Cheers,
    -tom

CHT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mekkon
    Okay, so I'm finally going to give in and buy a chain cleaning device, one of those nifty gizmos that you clamp on your chain, fill with cleaner/lube and it scrubs and lubes for you while you give the medals a couple spins... Which is best?
    It seems that there are three that look worthwhile, one by Park, Pedro's, and FinishLine. Each claims to be the best chain cleaner ever - but which is really the best? They can all be had for about the same price... (+/- $25 with lube)
    Please post any opinions, my chain needs some love and I'm now maintaining too many bikes to do them all the old fashioned-way, besides, it would cut into my riding time! Many thanks,
    Cheers,
    -tom
    I've had 2 Finish Line chain cleaners. The second was a mail order shipping error and was told to just keep it. Both are not very solid and, in all honesty, make more of a mess then they are worth. I only use it during the winter when it's too cold to clean my bikes outside.

I line my bikes up against the garage, take a hose and some Park brushes I purchased, and go to work. A quick spray of simple green and then the brush cleans my chains in about the same time as the Finish Line cleaner. Using ProLink has also lengthened the time between chain cleanings.

In short, save your money for lube, brushes, whatever. Just my $.02.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003

mtbr reviews says finishline...

Surfing through the mtbr tool reviews, the Finishline scores the best by a pretty good margin - 4.2 chilis compared to about 2.5 for the Park & Pedro's. Could it be that the cheapest one is the best?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I use the Park tool and I notice that it does not thoroughly clean the inside of
    the outer links. But it is easy to use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    howzabout a coffee can and some generic citrus cleaner from Home Depot. Shake it around a while, then flush with H20, dry, lube, reinstall.

Only investment is a SRAM powerlink. At $5, it's way cheaper than any of the chain cleaners.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

No need to clean your chain if you use ProLink or home brew

Assuming we're talking road riding, use the following technique for successful ProLink or homebrew lube (1 part motor oil to 3-4 parts odorless mineral spirits) application and use: 1 - wipe the chain, cogs, pulleys, and chainrings clean with a rag.
    2 - drip on lube while pedaling (forward is better) so that the chain just starts to drip lube. Aim the lube between the side plates and between the bushings and the side plates.
    3 - run through all the gears several times, front and back.
    4 - wipe the chain, cogs, pulleys, and chainrings clean with a rag.
    5 - repeat 2-4 if the chain was really dirty

If you do this every 300 miles or so, you will not get any significant gunky buildup, and you won't have to clean the chain.

However, no lube is "perfect." A brite shiny chain that is clean to the touch but is well lubed and gives long mileage is still not possible. IMO, ProLink is the best compromise.

Arrogant roadie.....

Don't waste your money.

None of them work worth a damn. And even the best only do a [email protected]$$ed job of cleaning the chain.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Apr 2004

just soak the chain

Get a master link so you can remove the chain from your bike without pushing pins. Put the chain in a half gallon jar with an inch of degreaser. Shake a few times. Let soak for a few minutes. If your chain was really dirty, repeat with clean degreaser. If you used a bio degreaser, rinse with hot water. This will get your chain cleaner than any of those machines, and with much less mess.

Censored by *********
    I guess I'm the exception to the rule because my Park cleaner works really well. After running the chain through it, I remove the chain (Connex link) and soak it in degreaser. I've observed very little sediment in the container even after letting the chain soak for an hour, shaking the container from time to time.

BTW, I've been using Nashbar's degreaser with good results.

Perhaps the lube I use makes a big difference. It's Psycho Lube and lasts so long and picks up so little gunk that I don't have to re-apply it for about 500 miles. I always thoroughly clean the chain before re-lubing.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mekkon
    Cheers,
    -tom
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.

Charles Darwin

SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
    No need to take the chains off,really.

Every little counts...
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    No need to take the chains off,really.
    Ya, using C10 chains, it is better to leave it on once it is there. I never use water-based cleaners, always homebrew. Drip it on every roller, dry it off.

For my cross bike, sometimes it is easier to buy a new $20 chain every month.