Help With Shift Cable Installation
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017

Help With Shift Cable Installation

I have a Ghost Panamao x5 bike that has a low end Shimano groupset on the bike. Lately, the rear derailleur has been slow to react. Sometimes when I click the tumb lever to go to a higher gear, it behaves as if it is "reeling in" cable, and I may have to hit the lever twice to get any tension. I want to take the mechanism apart, inspect and lube, as needed, and replace the cable, but I do not have any manual for it. No, I do not know what groupset it is either.

Any help would be appreciated. this is my commuter / lousy weather bike, so I don't want to spend the bucks, if I don't have to, to let my LBS work on it. (Yeah, I know, major tightwad, but I need the money, and have the time to do the work, now that I'm retired!)

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OV_Dragonman View Post
    I have a Ghost Panamao x5 bike that has a low end Shimano groupset on the bike. Lately, the rear derailleur has been slow to react. Sometimes when I click the tumb lever to go to a higher gear, it behaves as if it is "reeling in" cable, and I may have to hit the lever twice to get any tension. I want to take the mechanism apart, inspect and lube, as needed, and replace the cable, but I do not have any manual for it. No, I do not know what groupset it is either.

Any help would be appreciated. this is my commuter / lousy weather bike, so I don't want to spend the bucks, if I don't have to, to let my LBS work on it. (Yeah, I know, major tightwad, but I need the money, and have the time to do the work, now that I'm retired!)
    Specs say it has an XT rear derailleur. Not a low end RD and manual is easily found. Just google "Shimano Deore XT manual"
    https://www.rei.com/product/883668/g...-x-5-bike-2015

It should look like this. The linkage is a big "X" with XT labeled on it.

BUT.... 99.9% certainty you don't need to take it apart to clean and lube it. It's a well sealed MTB derailleur. Most likely you need to replace your cables and housing. Your symptoms, especially on a lousy weather bike, scream dirty/cruddy/gunked cables.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Rub it............
    I would second replacing the shift cables and housing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Do NOT take the shifter apart. They are NOT user serviceable. Replace the cable/housing as recommended.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

As others have said it is most likely cables and housing. Beyond that, you may get some joy by flushing the actual shifter (not the derailleur) with WD 40 while repeatedly shifting up and down. After that, shoot some lube in there (TriFlow is a good example).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I may have to hit the lever twice to get any tension.
    It could be cables/housing and that's caused by not having released enough cable on the downshift because it got hung up on gunk.
    But it could be your shifter is fried and not pulling enough cable or you just need more cable tension.

Either way replacing cables and housing is a good idea if you have plenty some miles on them but I would start with inspecting/cleaning/a drop or two of lube the cable guide at the bottom of the frame followed by more cable tension if that doesn't do anything.

[REDACTED]
    As others here have said, cables and housings are your most likely culprit. Before you touch anything else, replace your cables and housings. Make sure you use good quality stainless steel cables, not the cheap galvanized cables. If they don't say "stainless steel", they are most likely galvanized which oxidize, become rough and then shift poorly.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks for the help, tig, but I'm not trying to take the derailleur apart, just change the cable. The derailleur was already treated to half hour spa treatment in my ultrasonic cleaner, so I know that's clean!

It's the OTHER end I'm having trouble with, the trigger shift mechanism.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks, folks, but as I said in my reply to tig, it is the trigger shifter I'm having problems with. And, even though that is not where I'm having problems, it is not an XT derailleur. Later today, I'll try to get a photo of the trigger mechanism I'm trying to open to change the cable.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks, folks, but as I said in my reply to tig, it is the trigger shifter I'm having problems with. And, even though that is not where I'm having problems, it is not an XT derailleur. Later today, I'll try to get a photo of the trigger mechanism I'm trying to open to change the cable.
    Don't attempt to take the shifter apart. Do this .........

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Beyond that, you may get some joy by flushing the actual shifter (not the derailleur) with WD 40 while repeatedly shifting up and down. After that, shoot some lube in there (TriFlow is a good example).
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Shimano has very nice doc on there website. Find the model and google it and "user manual".

99% time the issues your are describing are friction between the cable and housing or some other issue related to the cable and housing.

Changing the cable and housing are not that difficult, but you need a good set of housing/cable cutters (cycling specific, not your regular old pliers or electircal wire cutters) and know how to reset the shifting index.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Look on the side of the shifter where the paddles stick out. There is a black plastic piece that looks sorta like a phillps head screw. If you imagine the path the cable would follow as it runs through the shifter it will be easy to find. Remove that piece, make sure the shifter is in high gear position and push the cable out. Super easy. As I posted before Do NOT attempt to take anything apart.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Do NOT attempt to take anything apart.
    I would go one further and say DO NOT REPLACE THE CABLE. At least not yet.

What you describe (feels like you're reeling in cable, two pushes to shift up one cog) suggests that your cable may have slipped from it's anchor bolt.

- shift the paddle/trigger and pedal the bike until your chain is all the way on the smallest cog.
    - make sure your trigger doesn't "click" anymore when you continue to shift in that direction.
    - tug on any exposed part of you inner shifter cable. Are you able to pull up much slack?
    - If so, loosen the cable anchor bolt at the rear der. pull the slack out of the cable, and re-tighten that bolt. You may have to take up a little more slack with your barrel adjusters to get everything fine tuned.