Homebrew: mineral spirits on an airplane?
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    236

    Homebrew: mineral spirits on an airplane?

    OK. I am determined to make my own chain lube, but I am not able to locate Mineral Spirits in Hong Kong. I am sure it exists, but finding it in a consumer size container is difficult.

    The closest I have come is having my secretary locate an industrial supplier who said they could offer in the metric equivalent of what sounds like a 50 gallon drum. (Surely this, along with a dozen gallons of synth motor oil, would be enough lube to last a while?)

    I am heading to the US for annual leave this week, am wondering if I would be allowed to transport mineral spirits (a single sealed and unopened container, likely to be much, much smaller than a 50gal drum) if I were to check it in with my luggage when I return to Hong Kong.

    Would the airlines allow this? Would it pose any kind of danger in the cargo hold? (I have transported Prolink 4oz bottles before in my carry-on bag. Would it be so different?)
    How many times I gotta say it? it aint a taint, its a gooch...

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: shabbasuraj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    638
    Call your airline for answers, I would think.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    320

    strange

    It almost sounds impossible. There must be a hardware store in your area. Or if not, try an artstore. You can possibly use paint thinner which is what mineral spirits are mainly sold as in Asia.

    We use paint thinner for home brew chain lube in Singapore. Comes in a glass bottle.

  4. #4
    Arrogant roadie.....
    Reputation: Dave_Stohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by alibaba93
    OK. I am determined to make my own chain lube, but I am not able to locate Mineral Spirits in Hong Kong. I am sure it exists, but finding it in a consumer size container is difficult.

    The closest I have come is having my secretary locate an industrial supplier who said they could offer in the metric equivalent of what sounds like a 50 gallon drum. (Surely this, along with a dozen gallons of synth motor oil, would be enough lube to last a while?)

    I am heading to the US for annual leave this week, am wondering if I would be allowed to transport mineral spirits (a single sealed and unopened container, likely to be much, much smaller than a 50gal drum) if I were to check it in with my luggage when I return to Hong Kong.

    Would the airlines allow this? Would it pose any kind of danger in the cargo hold? (I have transported Prolink 4oz bottles before in my carry-on bag. Would it be so different?)

    It is also called paint thinner, and can be found at any paint store on the planet.

    Flammable materials may never be shipped on a plane, no matter how large the container is. Attempting to do so will get you arrested, imprisoned, fined, and deported.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,601
    Pour it into a vodka bottle. They won't be able to tell the difference...probably tastes the same as well.

  6. #6
    jaded bitter joy crusher
    Reputation: Fredke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    19,723
    Here's the law in the US. It's pretty much the same everywhere: http://www.airsafe.com/danger.htm
    Some items should not be carried on an aircraft in either carry-on or checked baggage because of the danger they represent for the passengers and crew. Many of these items are commonly used at work or in the home, but may become a hazard in flight due to changes in temperature and pressure that can cause items to leak, generate toxic fumes or start a fire. Some exemptions are allowed for medical devices and personal care items. If in doubt, check with your air carrier. ...

    Banned or Hazardous Items
    Flammable Liquids and Solids: Gasoline, propane, butane, and other fuels; lights with flammable reservoirs, matches, flammable paints, paint thinners, some cleaning solvents, some adhesives, cigarette lighters, and lighter fluid. Personal care items containing flammable perfume, aerosols, or other hazardous material may be carried on board in limited quantities.
    If I want to carry very small (30 ml or less) quantities of flammable liquids, I put the bottle in my toilet case with my razor, toothbrush, and shampoo.
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

  7. #7
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,473
    One word.......NO....

    don't even attempt it.

    Number 1 on the Transportation Security Adminstration watch list is undeclared hazardous materials....

    Trust me on this one, I'm in the industry and transporting undeclared hazardous materials by air is not something you want to try..........
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    426

    Overrated

    It is not worth it to go through all this trouble for homebrew.

    The whole point of homebrew is to be simple and save money!

    Smuggling paint thinner on a airplane to make homebrew is well, silly.

    STOP IT PEOPLE!!!!!!

  9. #9
    Say "nuke-u-lar"
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    453
    I kept waiting for the punchline here. I can't believe what bother some people will go thru for this homebrew stuff. Is regular bike lube so expensive in HK to make it worthwhile to go to such lengths? I wouldn't screw with the TSA folk at this point, they're being pretty paranoid.
    Suum quique.

  10. #10
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905

    Are you kidding me??

    Dude we can start chain lube donation fund for you if you're that desperate!

    By the way... Off course you can't do that!

    For the same reason FedEx will not ship it to you either.

    Good luck


    ...Oh wait a minute!! You are joking aren't you?

  11. #11
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905

    good one...

    Quote Originally Posted by divve
    Pour it into a vodka bottle. They won't be able to tell the difference...probably tastes the same as well.
    I can't remember how many times I have brought Cuban rum back into the US without anyone noticing.

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    236

    Homebrew 2: Paint thinner = mineral spirits?

    I agree with suggestions that this entire effort is over the top. Transporting hazardous materials is not something I am prepared to attempt. I am neither cheap, nor indigent, but stubborn, however, is a distinct possibility. (Hey, at least I can admit it). And conditions in HK are sufficiently wet and roads sandy/dirty that frequent cleaning is necessary. So the hunt goes on...

    LBS in HK only stock Raceday (heavy and waxy) and Teflon (dry) -forget the name but it is the ubiquitous black bottle with the red screw top. I have suggested they import Prolink or other thin/clean lube but have been unsuccessful.

    If I am buying and transporting three or four bottles of Prolink from the US, am I not de facto transporting bottles of mineral spirits (albeit mixed with motor oil)?

    I am appreciative for the suggestions on paint thinner, is it the same as mineral spirits? will work just the same?

    Thank you.
    How many times I gotta say it? it aint a taint, its a gooch...

  13. #13
    Call me a Fred
    Reputation: MikeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16,998
    Quote Originally Posted by alibaba93

    I am appreciative for the suggestions on paint thinner, is it the same as mineral spirits? will work just the same?

    Thank you.
    Two names for the same thing.
    Mike

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

    Sleepy John Estes

    H

  14. #14
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905
    Quote Originally Posted by alibaba93
    I agree with suggestions that this entire effort is over the top. Transporting hazardous materials is not something I am prepared to attempt. I am neither cheap, nor indigent, but stubborn, however, is a distinct possibility. (Hey, at least I can admit it). And conditions in HK are sufficiently wet and roads sandy/dirty that frequent cleaning is necessary. So the hunt goes on...

    LBS in HK only stock Raceday (heavy and waxy) and Teflon (dry) -forget the name but it is the ubiquitous black bottle with the red screw top. I have suggested they import Prolink or other thin/clean lube but have been unsuccessful.

    If I am buying and transporting three or four bottles of Prolink from the US, am I not de facto transporting bottles of mineral spirits (albeit mixed with motor oil)?

    I am appreciative for the suggestions on paint thinner, is it the same as mineral spirits? will work just the same?

    Thank you.

    Wow I thought HK is the kind of place where one can buy anything on the planet. I must be wrong. Is there a lot of serious cyclist there? Maybe there's a nice business opportunity there.

    I have a friend who is from there maybe he knows where to find things.

  15. #15
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,282
    Just use a good bike lube and forget the home brew. I made some up a few years ago and it works OK, but doesn't last long and attracts dirt like crazy. After one ride, my chain was covered with black sludge.

    Frankly, the best lube I've ever used is Finish Line dry lube. It works great, but then again, I live in DC not HK.

    And yeah, I agree with everyone else --- you'd have to be crazy to knowingly break a federal airline regulation these days.

  16. #16

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    236

    OK: the skies are safe once again...

    I have just bought a full box of Prolink at the LBS, am scuppering the homebrew for now.

    But all of you anti-homebrew advocates can still shut the hell up.

    And if you ever come across me on a transcontinental flight, just to be safe you better remember not to light a match near my luggage.

    Or my butt. ( | )
    How many times I gotta say it? it aint a taint, its a gooch...

  17. #17

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    426

    Are you going to be

    smuggling paint thiner in your colon.?

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: shabbasuraj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    638
    die thread die

  19. #19
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905
    Quote Originally Posted by shabbasuraj
    die thread die
    hold on... not just yet.

  20. #20
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905

    Wha??

    Quote Originally Posted by alibaba93
    I have just bought a full box of Prolink at the LBS, am scuppering the homebrew for now.

    But all of you anti-homebrew advocates can still shut the hell up.

    And if you ever come across me on a transcontinental flight, just to be safe you better remember not to light a match near my luggage.

    Or my butt. ( | )
    A full box or a full bottle? Are running an entire team?

    It would figure a homebrewer would also be a crop duster on transcontinental flight. ;)

  21. #21

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    236

    no home brew smuggled on or in the body,

    but on a strict training diet of mexican food while back in the US.

    Agree: this thread must die.
    How many times I gotta say it? it aint a taint, its a gooch...

  22. #22
    Arrogant roadie.....
    Reputation: Dave_Stohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by alibaba93
    but on a strict training diet of mexican food while back in the US.

    Agree: this thread must die.
    ............so don't keep answering it!!!
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

  23. #23
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905

    Yo!

    alibaba93.... no wonder why you've got gas. ;)

Similar Threads

  1. How often do you clean your chain?
    By bikefreax in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 07:28 PM
  2. Mineral spirits on chain question
    By spookyload in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 01:55 PM
  3. Mineral spirits as regular chain cleaner
    By greyghost in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 02:44 PM
  4. What can I use to clean a new chain ?
    By alchemy in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-21-2004, 12:03 PM
  5. Columbus Airplane opinions?
    By hans in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 08:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.