How to Attach 105 rear derailleur to derailleur hanger?
    Pedallin' Pete
    Aug 2006

How to Attach 105 rear derailleur to derailleur hanger?

Hi,
    How do I attach a Shimano 105 derailleur to a frame? Is there supposed to be a bolt that threads on through the back of the derailleur hanger? Or do I just screw it in from the front?
    Thanks,
    J

corning my own beef
    Hi, Jay:

I'd suggest taking it to the friendly LBS. Mounting the RD is the EASY part. I have to assume that if you're unsure about how to do that, you're likely not prepared to attempt to adjust the derailleur correctly. But it's a relatively quick process - the mechanic at the shop may let you watch and give you a couple pointers for next time?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeRider
    screw it in from the front...should be a bolt attatched to the RD already...

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    As said, just screw it tightly into the threaded eye. If you can read the instructions at the link, you can do the rest of the work too.
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830612520.pdf

Pedallin' Pete
    Aug 2006
    I knew I could screw it in from the front, but I was wondering if there was supposed to be a sleeve that fits in the derailleur hangar from the backside. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Yes, I do have some mechanical ability and no, I ain't givin' in to the LBS. And yes, I can adjust the derailleurs.
    Is there a sleeve that plugs in from the back to hold the derailleur in place? Maybe there isn't....

Pedallin' Pete
    Aug 2006
    Okay, looking at the tech document, there is no second piece that screws in from the back. I was sure there would be something there to ensure the whole thing doesn't come loose. Maybe some loctite?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

No LocTite

Quote Originally Posted by Jayzonk
    Okay, looking at the tech document, there is no second piece that screws in from the back. I was sure there would be something there to ensure the whole thing doesn't come loose. Maybe some loctite?
    Grease the threads. Tighten it firmly by hand with an allen wrench. No need whatsoever for thread locking compounds.

Pedallin' Pete
    Aug 2006
    Okay, I'll give it a shot. Let you know how it goes. Thanks Kerry Irons