How do you know what to get when you do not know what you are looking for ...
    wyrd bi ful rd

How do you know what to get when you do not know what you are looking for ...

The handlebar is now the last item for me to get in my 1st road bike build. I have roughly figured out the frame size etc ... but handlebars???

Having tried out a couple of bikes at my LBS, I noticed it is quite comfortable on a compact handlebar, and so have decided to go with one of these ... then there is the drop and reach ...

This link was quite helpful, and I have decided, at 5' 10", of pretty standard geometry, I would prefer about 75mm reach and a drop of about 130mm. I took these figures from the bikes I tried out at the LBS.

So it is down to ...

a Ritchey at 132/78
    bars Ritchey WCS Logic II 30.jpg

or a Deda at 128/75
    bars Deda Zero 100 30.jpg

Pricewise they are about the same, one is about 15g heavier than the other ... but I do not think the drop and reach will make a noticeable difference, but I did notice that the curvature of the bar is different (obviously I know) and what difference will there be if any between the two ...

Thank you in advance ... Good morning!, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!, and have a good jubilee long weekend ...

Slightly Opinionated
    It's impossible to suggest one or the other. You have to try both and decide which fits your hands best. Personally, I can't stand the "ergo" or "flat" type of bar like that Ritchey. I far prefer the Deda's constant radius curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    It's impossible to suggest one or the other. You have to try both and decide which fits your hands best. Personally, I can't stand the "ergo" or "flat" type of bar like that Ritchey. I far prefer the Deda's constant radius curve.
    I, on the other hand (or on both hands, really), strongly prefer the ergo-type bars with the flat or recurved section. It's very much a matter of preference and riding style. If you haven't ridden either, it's hard to say.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I hate ergo bars!

I didn't realize anybody liked them, but it makes me happy - I'd thought this was something the cycling industry had foisted on us, maybe because of ease of manufacture or something.

OP, you already have done what I would have suggested, which is to test ride some bikes. Did you ride one with ergo bars? It sounds like you may already have a preference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    That is a very insightful and intelligent question. The only way to really answer it is to say (as others have said) you have to try different things to learn. You can google to find specific answers but whet feels good to you is personal enough that you can't get a good answer without trying. A lot of people must have liked ergo bars otherwise the manufacturers wouldn't have made them. I mean they have an extra bend in them so they weren't cheap to make. Personally I hate them, find them unconfortable and use Nitto Noodle bars. a very classic bend. I personally would use either of those bars as those "ergo" bars don't have that extra hump in them. I like the round bars best but again that's really a personal decision
    good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n View Post
    The handlebar is now the last item for me to get in my 1st road bike build. I have roughly figured out the frame size etc ... but handlebars???

Having tried out a couple of bikes at my LBS, I noticed it is quite comfortable on a compact handlebar, and so have decided to go with one of these ... then there is the drop and reach ...

This link was quite helpful, and I have decided, at 5' 10", of pretty standard geometry, I would prefer about 75mm reach and a drop of about 130mm. I took these figures from the bikes I tried out at the LBS.

So it is down to ...

a Ritchey at 132/78
    bars Ritchey WCS Logic II 30.jpg

or a Deda at 128/75
    bars Deda Zero 100 30.jpg

Pricewise they are about the same, one is about 15g heavier than the other ... but I do not think the drop and reach will make a noticeable difference, but I did notice that the curvature of the bar is different (obviously I know) and what difference will there be if any between the two ...

Thank you in advance ... Good morning!, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!, and have a good jubilee long weekend ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I have a Deda bar with a curve like the Ritchey. I like having that straight section to pull on.

Bars are like seats, so individual that you have to try them to find the right one.

wyrd bi ful rd
    I cannot quite recall the type of bars that were used on the bikes I tested, I was more concerned with the reach and drop ...

Even a test ride in the car park will not tell me much I think ... I need to ride it for some distance I think ... just like a saddle as one of you have mentioned ...

But I can see how they are a definitely a 'personal preference' component ...

Managed to find some photos online ...

Ritchey
    20120601 Ritchey WCS Logic II 01 FORUM.jpg

Deda
    20120601 Deda Zero 100 01 FORUM.jpg

Because of the 'straight' portion on the Ritchey, is the reach to the lever further away? Or is that just an adjustment on where the shifters sit on the bars ... But from the shape of my palms, it looks like this will not matter due to the curvature on this portion of your palm ...
    20120601 palm of hand.jpg

I think I will just flip a coin or just get the one which is cheaper and lighter ...
    Last edited by c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n; 06-01-2012 at 02:13 AM.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    the ritchey bend is awful, get the Dedas or some Rotundos
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n View Post
    Because of the 'straight' portion on the Ritchey, is the reach to the lever further away? Or is that just an adjustment on where the shifters sit on the bars ... But from the shape of my palms, it looks like this will not matter due to the curvature on this portion of your palm ...
    In the Ritchey picture, if you turn the bar downwards and move the shifters upwards on the bar, you'll reduce reach. I hate ergo bars personally, but if I really have to use one like the Ritchey I turn it down so that the bottom part of the bar is level. Then have the shifters sit higher than is shown on the pic.

After much experimenting, I find that I like short reach bars like 3T Ergonova or Easton EC90 SLX3.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    My favorite bends are compact and traditional. So I'd pick the Deda. Monkeying with the angle of the bar and position of the brake levers makes a huge difference in how handlebars feel. I felt like I could never get both a good drops position and a good hoods position with ergo bars, and I like to have the portion near the end of the drops be usable for me too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Many of us have gone through that constant bar search, it is a matter of personal preference. I like the classic shape because the drops is long and flat. I have egro ones like this Deda "Piega" that has a longer flat in the drops, this is a nice compromise for me between the classic and ergo shapes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kuma601; 06-04-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Bar name

wyrd bi ful rd
    Had a look at both types of bars at my LBS today and I think I am going for the Ritchey ...

The Deda ... there are various positions that I can grab the bar ... the Ritchey, basically only 3 positions and the lowest is still at best , a loose grip, due to the short length at the bottom, but the flat bit, I feel I have a better hold on the bar. For the Deda, because of the curvature, I feel my last 2 fingers is not getting a good hold on the bar ... not that the bar will come off in my hands if you know what I mean ...

wyrd bi ful rd
    Had a look again at more bars and now I am totally undecided again ... With a traditional curve bar, you can almost hold the bar anywhere and it is comfortable ... and sizing is different ... Ritchey is measured from centre to centre. For the Deda, it is measured from outside to outside. Hence to get a 42cm centre to centre Deda bar, I need to get the 44cm ...
    Last edited by c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n; 06-04-2012 at 01:31 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's a review of a couple of bar shapes. One thing it focuses on how the bar bends and different brand of shifters goe together.

A few of Nick Legan’s favorite things: Handlebars

Personally, I prefer compact non-ergo bars and put Zero100s on my newest road bike with SRAM Red. I find they work well for me, but like others have said, it's kind of like saddles and helmets. It's whatever works best for you.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Buy and try. It can get expensive if you aim for the high end bars. As looigi posted in the link, some shifters angle nicer on some bends depending where you place them. Usually you can find a compromise but that entails experimenting. Buy some get some road time and see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I'm definitely not a fan of the "ergo" shape which I consider very non-ergo. My issue is that it only works in one place on the drops, and I prefer the ability to move around a bit.

I also have very wide hands and so can't use small radius bends. This means either deep drops, or bars like my vintage Fiamme or the Deda which have a multi-radius curve. It's sharpest at the top of the drop where you can't hold it anyway, then sweeps into a broad curve that offers a nice wide grip, without having too deep a drop.

One note about this type of multi-radius bar, The lever is usually mounted at the area of sharpest bend, and so they're very sensitive to lever position. Moving the lever a little bit either way will change the lever/bar distance significantly. Find the part of the bend that gives you the best lever/bar reach from the drops, and set the lever, then rotate the bar so the top of the lever is where you like it, letting the drop end up where it does.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

old school drop out
    Pick one and ride with it. After a few thousand miles you decide if you like it or need a different bar next time.

I ride with several different bars with different shapes. I'm pretty happy with most of them. I prefer the ergo bends to "classic" bend, and I notice differences in bar width more than shape. While bar shapes are different, it's hard for me to say that one is better than the other - just different.

Steaming piles of opinion
    FWIW, Ritchey makes one with a shape similar to the Deda shown, with 83/131 numbers.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I've been using the Ritchey ergo bars for years and love them. They seem to be a great improvement over the old school rounded shape of drops.
    But as others have said, it's really about what feels right to you!

wyrd bi ful rd
    ... managed to try out a bar with a compact traditional and that is it ... ALL DONE ... thank you to all ...