How to Uninstall Ultegra Hydraulic Disc brakes
    jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

How to Uninstall Ultegra Hydraulic Disc brakes

I'm selling a frameset and need remove the disc brakes from the bike. I can't seem to find any instructions or videos online for uninstalling the brakes, just bleed instructions.

Is this something I can do easily, or is removing the hydraulic fluid tricky?

I assumed it would be a matter of simply draining the fluid into a bucket, but after seeing tutorials for installing and bleeding the brakes, I'm wondering if I need a bleed kit to drain the fluid.

Thanks!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I'm guessing they're internally routed? Just cut the hoses as close to the shifter end as you can. I'm talking super close, like 10-12mm. Remove the hose from the shifter, cut the end w/ the barb & olive off as they can't be remove once installed and remove the hose from the frame. If you want to plug the end that's always helpful to prevent any mineral oil from leaking out.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks CX,
    yes internally routed on a 2018 Canyon Endurace. Had to look up barb & olive since I haven't worked on hydro disc brakelines in the past, but it seems doable. Just don't want to make a mess of the frame.

Cheers/thx.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    One other thing to consider. Pull a hose guide of some sort through with the hose on it's way out. That way whoever buys the frame (or the poor mechanic who assembles it) has an easier time installing the new hose. You should also do this with the shift housing.

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    One other thing to consider. Pull a hose guide of some sort through with the hose on it's way out. That way whoever buys the frame (or the poor mechanic who assembles it) has an easier time installing the new hose. You should also do this with the shift housing.
    Yes, definitely a consideration. I ended up selling the complete bike, so I didn't need to remove the brakes. Still a newbie when it comes to disc brake wrenching. I've worked on the calipers but not the hydro lines.

Thanks for the advice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Selling the complete bike solves the problem.

If I was selling a frame without the groupset, I would have just removed the calipers and shifters from the frame by unscrewing the coupling. Then use a razor knife and cut all the way around the olive and pull the barb out, and leave the hose in the frame. This way you keep the fittings to go with your caliper and shifters and have enough line in there for the new owner to use the line for his / her build if they want. Blow through the line with some compressed air to get most of the fluid out and wrap a big wad of paper towel around a ziplock bag tied to each end of the hoses.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    When I sold on my disc frameset, I just disconnected the shifters and calipers leaving the olive and compression nut and hoses attached to the frame. One why reuse the hoses on another bike when it may not fit in length and when you purchase new Shimano hoses they come with new olives, barbs and compression nuts.

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven1816 View Post
    When I sold on my disc frameset, I just disconnected the shifters and calipers leaving the olive and compression nut and hoses attached to the frame. One why reuse the hoses on another bike when it may not fit in length and when you purchase new Shimano hoses they come with new olives, barbs and compression nuts.
    This makes sense. I kept the bike intact until I had a good opportunity to chat with the guy that purchased the bike this way I didn't unnecessarily remove anything that he might want or need. Assuming hoses won't transfer over to a new build readily, so I planned to keep the only levers and calipers if he wanted to purchase the frameset. Did not realize that hydro brake lines use parts that are one-time use only.

Looking to build a new disc bike. I'll learn a lot by installing components myself and will be able to service the bike more easily since I'll be familiar with each component.
    Last edited by jta; 02-15-2020 at 08:54 PM.