Hydraulic brake line routing inside downtube
    RoadBikeReview Member

Hydraulic brake line routing inside downtube

I'm building a frame that has 2 spots for internal routing of cables in the downtube, and one external. I'm building this with Di2 so only one will be used for shifting, and leaves one open for alternate use. It's going to have hydraulic discs, so am thinking about routing it inside the downtube and out just under the bottom bracket enlarging one of the holes in the BB plastic cable guide to accommodate it and follow the chain stay. Are there any concerns or watch outs I should be aware of doing this? If it matters, it's R785 shifters on a Niner RLT9 frame. When Niner builds the bike spec'd like this they run the hydraulic line down the outside not the inside. When I called and asked about it they said the hose won't fit out the BB guide which I would modify to fit. Thoughts?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is obviously a huge diameter increase when comparing a hydraulic hose to a shift cable, but if you are able to modify the BB cable guide without destroying it, there shouldn't be any problems. Is the entry port at the top of the down tube large enough to fit the hose?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Surprisingly to me anyway, the OD size of the hose is exactly the same as a regular brake cable housing at 5mm so it fits in the entry port at the top and the bottom only needs to go from a 4mm shift cable bore to the 5mm size.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    so am thinking about routing it inside the downtube and out just under the bottom bracket enlarging one of the holes in the BB plastic cable guide to accommodate it and follow the chain stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Surprisingly to me anyway, the OD size of the hose is exactly the same as a regular brake cable housing at 5mm so it fits in the entry port at the top and the bottom only needs to go from a 4mm shift cable bore to the 5mm size.
    Drill it out. You can always replace it with a new one.
    If it were me, I'd just take it off. You don't need it. It'd probably give you a smoother bend.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

'brifter' is a lame word.
    ^This^ No need for it, and if it's gone you'll have be able to run the hydro line directly out of the frame and not bend it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks everyone, so I will definitely run it inside. I was thinking that plastic piece drilled will keep the bottom from filling with debris / mud riding it on gravel roads or trails. I can smooth the bend just playing with a dremel and the plastic to make a curve for it to follow.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett