Hydraulic Brake Lines and Palm Discomfort
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Hydraulic Brake Lines and Palm Discomfort

I love my disc brakes, but I find that the lines are uncomfortable where they press against my palm. Specifically, the meaty part of my palm below my thumb. I had initially wrapped the bar tape on the outside of the brake line30248DD3-3B62-4736-A1AD-98A65156A75B.jpg080B9933-2F2A-48DC-A639-3AC2EF08BB3B.jpg30248DD3-3B62-4736-A1AD-98A65156A75B.jpg080B9933-2F2A-48DC-A639-3AC2EF08BB3B.jpg30248DD3-3B62-4736-A1AD-98A65156A75B.jpg080B9933-2F2A-48DC-A639-3AC2EF08BB3B.jpg, below the rubber boot, but it seems like it was putting a lot of pressure against the brake line and bunching up, so I moved one wrap below the brake line. This is the Ultegra 8000 series. How can I adjust everything to make it more comfortable?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have R785s on my gravel bike and the brake lines come out the same way, separated a bit from the bar. Like you, I use two rolls of bar tape but I double-wrap the entire bar. I never notice an issue with comfort in that area. Maybe you could start your second layer of tape beneath the hoods. Also, I put the brake lines under the first layer of tape. I just don't wrap the tape real tight as I go around that point. Would also want to see a cross-pic of your bike. Are your hoods too low and is that making it worse?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Sure thing! IMG_5108.jpg

The bike is a new build, and Iím honestly not sure if my hoods are in the right place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    Sure thing! IMG_5108.jpg

The bike is a new build, and Iím honestly not sure if my hoods are in the right place.

Ideally the top of the handlebar where it turns forward should be level to the ground, as well as the top of the shifter to make a continuous level line. But I don't think that's issue and your setup looks reasonable. I don't see how the hydraulic fitting is hurting your hand as it's under the hood, except maybe the weight of your hand is resting where the bar meets the shifter instead of having your weight completely on the lever. Am I correct that the bars above the hoods are double-wrapped but only starting past the fitting?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Thatís just a single layer of tape. Itís the Pro1 Digital Tape, so itís pretty thick.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would raise the shifters to start. I actually have mine wrapped so they are over the end of the shifter a bit where it meets the bars, under the hood cover, double wrapped with bontrager gel cork tape - zero complaints.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    This is how mine is wrapped (came this way from the factory).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I would raise the shifters to start. I actually have mine wrapped so they are over the end of the shifter a bit where it meets the bars, under the hood cover, double wrapped with bontrager gel cork tape - zero complaints.
    Hard to see from the picture, but I tend to agree. The standard guidance for brake lever position is so that a straight edge projected forward from the drops just touches the bottom of the brake lever. The picture is not clear, but it looks like the levers are lower than that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I raised the shifters up a bit and re-wrapped the bars. Now I'm thinking that it might have been a wrinkle in the bar tape that was pressing against my palm. I think you're right. My hands don't really rest on the hydraulic tube. I tried wrapping over the hose and the nut/socket, but I made everything look sloppy, and it didn't add much protection. I'll send more pics later.