Hydraulic TT brake rim not disk
    RoadBikeReview Member

Hydraulic TT brake rim not disk

Just as the title states, discuss.

Found this at slowtwitch.com

The Magura RT8TT brake - Slowtwitch.com

The Magura RT8TT brake
    Written by: Herbert Krabel

"German company Magura has been around since 1893, but they built their first hydraulic mountain bike rim brake 25 years ago. This week in Fuerteventura, Spain they announced an exciting new hydraulic aerodynamic TT brake that they developed together with Cervelo.

Dubbed the RT8TT, (there is also a less expensive RT6TT) this brake appears to be a game changer and despite its hefty price tag we would expect to see quite a few folks wanting replace a crappy brake on their TT bike. It has been somewhat of an industry inside joke that quite a few $10,000 super bikes were sadly built around crappy $20 brakes which seem to be neither working well nor do they allow the wind to slide by uninhibited. Well, the brake itself might be somewhat hidden, but the noodle and other housing elements tend to stick out.

But here comes the Magura brake to the rescue. Weighing in at a very light 495 grams, this sealed hydraulic system is maintenance free and does not suffer from cable stretch or housing contamination from dirt, dust or water. The adjustment range is quite large and allows for a wide range of rims, and a very clever quick release for the brake is built within the lever. Once that quick release is opened and the wheel has been swapped out, the customer simply jumps on the bike and the first time he grabs the brake it is engaged again.

Modulation is very nice and the braking power is excellent, as we have experienced on our brief test ride. We though expect to get more miles in on the system before too long.

Magura though is not satisfied with the TT / triathlon market alone and we should see a road bike conversion kit this year. We would expect the Garmin Barracuda team to get their hands on them first.

MSRP is $750 per set for the RT8TT and $599 for the slightly heavier RT6TT brake. But customers do not have to buy a set. Individual brakes and sets should be available at Cervelo dealers in April and other dealers in June."

Last edited by QuattroCreep; 01-19-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Militant commuter
    Scott-Mathauser made hydraulic rim brakes way back in the late 80s/early 90s. I think Magura had them for MTBs, too...I recall them as being popular with trials riders.

These Maguras are pretty sexy...I like how they evoke the Campy "Delta" brake bodies. Let's hope these work better than Deltas!
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    They're not disc because UCI regulations haven't cleared such a system for road bikes iirc (considering how long it took for cyclocross to finally start with it.)

Right now, it seems that can be slapped on a road bike with TRP's Parabox (hydraulic adapter) if RT6 adapter* doesn't come around as soon. Would come at the cost of stack height since it mounts under the stem and the whole thing would cost like $1000. I can't wait for the first guy with loaded pockets to share that one...

*I'm not 100% on how that's working as I read the Garmin Barracuda riders will be using Di2 with it.
    Last edited by Ventruck; 01-19-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Anphaque II
    It'll be interesting to see when it will be used in a major race/Tour.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

Rollin' Stones
    I frequent Slowtwitch and saw those too. I hate to say it, but they are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cydswipe View Post
    I frequent Slowtwitch and saw those too. I hate to say it, but they are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    I agree with you. A simple center pull cable brake would do the same thing and be way less expensive, but not nearly as sexy. These could save seconds over the course of an ironman distance race, what is that time worth to you? $750? To some people it is.

I personally have never had a problem with stopping power on my TT/tri rig, normally it is the go power that is lacking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    you ever try the brakes on a old p5? they dont do ****

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    It'll be interesting to see when it will be used in a major race/Tour.
    ...I imagine that it will be used in the next showing of Garmin Barracuda

Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    you ever try the brakes on a old p5? they dont do ****
    You mean the old P4? Yes, I have a 2010 P4 with the original rear brake. I have to say that I have had no problems with it with the power of the brake. It might not lock up the wheel like a disc brake can, but they get the job done.

Rollin' Stones
    So, if the brakes are an issue on a VERY expensive bike, they should be substituted with a MORE expensive brake? Regular brakes, that work on every other bicycle, in all shapes and forms, are the issue?
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    So, if the brakes are an issue on a VERY expensive bike, they should be substituted with a MORE expensive brake? Regular brakes, that work on every other bicycle, in all shapes and forms, are the issue?
    No kidding. My 200g (for whole set, including pads) Planet X brakes (Featherlight and Token clones)), bought for $137, work awesome. And I ride in the mountain during which descend at speed 44-45 mph regularly. $800 brakes on a TT bike is just stupid funny.

And on a related note, what's going on with the novelty and sometime obessions with the idea of hydraulic disc brakes on a road bike? No way in hell I will ever consider hydraulic disc brakes on a 14-15 lbs superlight road bike. The weight alone would be a turn off right off the bat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I have some of the 235g version of the planet x brakes and I agree that they have excellent stopping power.

As for the weight issues - Magura would argue their brakes include the weight of the hydraulic hose and fluid, so to draw a true comparison, you should also add the weight of the cable housing and cables. Apparently that does add a substantial amount to the weight, but I've never even considered that before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've never really needed very strong brakes for my time trial bike. I'll pass.