I crashed. Replace shifter or replace group?
    In the zone.

I crashed. Replace shifter or replace group?

I've been running 9 speed ultegra ever since i bought my bike 4 years ago and i've been happy with it. I maintain my stuff well, so the group shifted great, and parts were usually pretty cheap when I wanted to find them. However, I've caught some upgraditis when I noticed 9 speed stuff getting more and more expensive, and the newer groupsets are definitely better than what i've been running. I was planning on waiting until october to get some new Rival to put on my bike.

BUT, today I ate it hard in a crit and my front shifter isn't what it used to be. I was looking for replacements online and the cheapest i could find on ebay were ~120 bucks for a set of shifters. I dont really want to put more money into a group that's going to be obselete soon, and also one that i was going to upgrade from in the first place.

I'm not full of money, but i definitely was going to spring for the upgraded rival group. On the other hand, i need something to ride with right now, but I dont want to spend a lot if i'm going to stay with 9 speed.

What do you guys think i should do?

Aug 2004
    Find a beat up old 105 shifter to get you through the season, then upgrade over the winter. Maybe even a Sora shifter would do the job?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    You could upgrade the front now and the rear later, if you can stand the mismatched shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Find a cheap replacement for the front. Not sure what part of the country you are in, but odds are that you are not using your front shifter a whole lot on the average ride. Recall pros in the TDF using a friction shifter on the front for TTs. It serves a similar purpose for them (light) as a replacement would for you (cheap). When you have the $$, upgrade both at same time. Now you know it pays to crash on your left side...