Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

I need a cycling computer and suggestions?

2K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  MisterMike 
#1 ·
I've had a cat eye for sometime. I gave it to my wife so I can get myself a new one! I'm looking for one that will give me speed and cadence. I haven't found any I liked but I'm looking for recommendations. And always interested in real customer feedback. What do folks recommend for price and durability? thanks

#2 ·
You don't mention the model Cateye you gave your wife, but if it is an Astrale 8 I'd get it back! I've had mine for a couple of years, had my bike flip and land on it cracking the case and it's still working fine. A VDO I had a few years back died after a few months.
If you want cadence and something a little more unique, Cateye offers wireless with cadence, but it costs 3X what the Astrale does.

#3 ·
I like my VDO C3 DS computer. You can get it with cadence from Performance/Nashbar for 85.00 dollars all the time. Easy to use, big screen. My wife also uses it and as soon as my Cat Eye goes T..s up on my mountain bike I am going to replace it with a VDO as well.

#4 ·
IME all computers are pretty close in quality. I don't like/trust wireless ones. I have clubmates that have them. Based on what I've seen, I wouldn't buy one. When I shop for a computer, I look for LARGE, easy-to-read numbers, and easy to work buttons.

#5 ·
I have a Sigma Sport BC1606L DTS Wireless w/cadence. They're $60 through Amazon. I've used it for the last 6 months with no problems. When I finish my winter beater bike set up, I'll probably spring for the $32 kit for that bike. It'll allow me to use the same computer head for that bike, while recognizing he different tire size of "bike 2"

#9 ·
To me there is not much difference in all the computers out there. Pick one with the features you like and go with it. I like the Planet bike computers because they display several lines of info at once so you are not having to scroll thru screens all the time. I don't quite understand wireless computeres though. They tout wireless because you don't have the ugly wire running up your fork, but what about that suitcase sized sensor on your fork? It's much easier to neatly hide the wire than to have to run around with that steamer trunk mounted on your fork!

#10 ·
rogerstg said:
I have a Sigma Sport BC1606L DTS Wireless w/cadence. They're $60 through Amazon. I've used it for the last 6 months with no problems. When I finish my winter beater bike set up, I'll probably spring for the $32 kit for that bike. It'll allow me to use the same computer head for that bike, while recognizing he different tire size of "bike 2"
Yep, the Sigma BC1606L DTS wireless w/cadence is what I've been using for ~6 months. No probs at all. Great computer!

For winter training on my trainer, I've moved the speed sensor to the rear seatstay of my bike. I've also moved the stem/bar computer mount to the middle of my top tube. This allows me to get both speed and cadence while on the trainer!

#12 ·
I have a Cateye Micro mini.... wireless basic computer, nothing fancy. Easy to set up, dual stem or bar mount. You can reset readings (such as tire size) without effecting the odometer (in case you forget to write it down). The odometer also reads 5 digits so I don't have to reset it every year. I think the prices have jumped up. I paid $38.00 for mine when they first came out, I see them now for around $50+. It does not have a bunch of bells and whistles, good product.

Cateye has a website with customer support. If you do something lame like lose your instructions, you can down load it on your computer.

I had a Mitty 8 and the mode button came off during a ride....

#14 ·
I picked up a Cateye CC-CD300DW on sale last winter and used it all last summer http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/251

Pros
Wireless speed and cadence
Settable odometer
three separate readouts

Cons
costs too much
pretty small readouts but I can see them
set up can be a pain

I didn't have any problems at all with it but I'm not sure I'd buy it again since I find I really don''t use the cadence feature as much as I thought I would. Strange but the thing I like most is no fork sensor. Not sure why but I just like seeing the fork w/o a big transmitter. The transmitter on the left-side chain stay doesn't bug me at all. The only other nit is that the total time (as in total all year) can't be reset at all, Kind of a bummer since I like to know how many hours in the saddle for a given year. Guess I just have to remember year-end totals

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.