I swapped a Shimano 10-speed hub for a Shimano 11-speed hub reusing spokes and rim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

I swapped a Shimano 10-speed hub for a Shimano 11-speed hub reusing spokes and rim

Perhaps this is already common knowledge, but ......

I switched over to 11-speed a few months ago and have been going through the growing pains of replacing 10-speed rear wheels and swapping out freehub bodies to 11-speed when possible.

I am pretty much set except for not having an old wheel around anymore to keep a trainer tire on for spinning indoors during icy weather. My old wheels are all 10-speed.

One of those wheels was a 32 spoke Dura-Ace hub laced up to an Open Pro rim. It was one of my first wheels I ever built and had some really nice Sapim CX-Ray spokes. It had sat for over a year unused.

Still needing a trainer wheel I looked into options. I thought about getting an Ultegra FH-6800 11-speed hub and reusing the Mavic Open Pro rim on that old wheel. But what about the $200 in spokes that would end up getting tossed in the trash. And I would still need to buy a hub and cheap spokes. That is about $150 for both. Ugh.

I went into Spokecalc to figure out what spokes lengths I would need. On a whim I also checked out what spoke lengths I currently had with my FH-7850 Dura-Ace 10-speed hub in the wheel now.

Turns out that Shimano changed the flange sizes on their newer hubs to offset the change in flange to center distance to in effect allow the same spoke length in the 10-speed and 11-speed hubs. They are interchangeable in wheel builds using the same spoke lengths. The calculations were not exact on the spoke length but within 1mm. Close enough.

I bought a FH-6800 and took apart the old wheel pulling out the FH-7850 and putting in the FH-6800. I did replace the nipples but was able to reuse the spokes and the rim.

So I ended up with the perfect trainer wheel for the price of an Ultegra hub and some nipples. About $115.

If you have a wheel with a Shimano hub that is 10-speed and want to swap it out to 11-speed then head over to your favorite spoke length calculator and compare the spoke lengths between your current hub and an 11-speed version.

#1 Wheel Building SPOKE CALCULATOR Now Online | PROWHEELBUILDER

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Couldn't you have just used the 10spd wheel on the trainer? Would have been much easier...unless you expect to be able to shift a bunch when using the trainer. You'd probably be able to use 5,6...maybe 7 cogs just fine.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Couldn't you have just used the 10spd wheel on the trainer? Would have been much easier...unless you expect to be able to shift a bunch when using the trainer. You'd probably be able to use 5,6...maybe 7 cogs just fine.
    I do intervals on the trainer. Not too often that I pick a gear and spin for 2 hrs steady. I can also now have another alloy wheel to have as a backup or loaner.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Rim erd is more crucial than hub dimensions for spoke length. I am about to lace a 105 freehub hub into a wheel that has a freewheel hub so I can run 9 speed. It's a shame to trash a perfectly good rim and nice set of spokes because technology has moved on. In my case REALLY moved on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    you can put 10 11spd cogs on a old hub. good enough for a trainer