Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Impact compact vs. Energy: opinions?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  eflayer2 
#1 ·
I'm going to get a compact double crank, and I've seen the Stronglight Impact
($108 at bikpartsUSA) and the FSA Energy ($124, AEbike). Any opinions? The Ritchey is closely priced as well at $126. The Impact is slightly heavier, but I like the closer ratio of 36/50.

Also, any opinions on the Stronglight taper BB that goes with the Impact? It's cheap at under $20. If I got this crank would I be better off with a Shimano or other BB?

I'm not looking for a carbon crank, by the way.

thanks

#2 ·
Compact crank

I am getting the FSA Gossammer 50 - 34 shimano octalink compatible, by the way, what cassettte are you planning to run?

In my case I will build a 9 speed 11 to 21 (11.12.13.14.15.16.17.19.21). I guess the chain will have to be trimmed.

I have heard a lot of good things about the energy.

Unai

#3 ·
fiddledoc said:
($108 at bikpartsUSA) and the FSA Energy ($124, AEbike). Any opinions? The Ritchey is closely priced as well at $126. The Impact is slightly heavier, but I like the closer ratio of 36/50.

Also, any opinions on the Stronglight taper BB that goes with the Impact? It's cheap at under $20. If I got this crank would I be better off with a Shimano or other BB?

thanks
It seems that ISIS is the future with cranks. It is the answer to Octalink, you will notice that other than Shimano cranks offer ISIS, you do need an ISIS bb socket to install it is deeper than the standard Octalink socket I have. I am installing the Energy on my new ride, if the 34T does not work out then I'll get a 36T. Going to use a 12-23 9speed cassette.

#4 ·
compact cranks

I run the Impact in a 34/48 config. I ordered mine from the UK because I wanted the model with silver arms and black rings. It was a bit more expensive, but I want what I want it seems. I use a Shimano square taper and that works fine. I have no knowlege of Stronglight bb's. I run the Ritchey compact WCS in the 34/50 config on another bike. That one is running with an Ultegra 109.5 bb and that works fine too. You might also check out the customized Sugino compact from yellowjersey.org. Andrew is very good about providing the rings of your choice and this crank runs on square taper bb as well. Flawless operation and the good looks of the all silver, cold forged smooth crank arms.

#5 ·
Lone Gunman said:
It seems that ISIS is the future with cranks.
ISIS sucks. Never have failure rates in equipment based on rotation limited by bearings been so high.

If I had to guess, I'd say oversize/outboard is the future. Campag will be in the game before you know it, and the smaller manufacturers will follow.

#6 ·
Impact = Sugino

fiddledoc said:

thanks
I''m 99.99% certain from the photos I've seen that the Impact is a rebadged Sugino XD. I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like the other Stronglight cranks I've owned (e.g., Speedlight). Based on that, all I can tell you is that I've been enjoying my XD triple for some time... I'd buy one of the cheaper XD setups (the cheapest ones have steel rings) and buy the rings I wanted for it. Any 110 BCD rings should do...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.