Index shifting problem, 8 speed ultegra barcon, 9 speed deore LX, 8 speed cassette
    Unlabeled

Index shifting problem, 8 speed ultegra barcon, 9 speed deore LX, 8 speed cassette

I built up a touring bike for my wife and I can't get it to index shift. I'm using 8 speed Ultegra barcons, and Deore LX mega 9 rear derailleur, and an 8 speed Nashbar cassette. The shifters seem to move the derailleur too far. If I start on the smallest cog and start clicking the chain jumps two cogs after about the 4th or 5th click and reaches the largest Cog after only 6 clicks. The 7th click would push the derailleur and chain into the spokes. I thought that the 9 speed Deore LX was compatible with 8 speed shimano shifters. Is this the problem? Or is the Nahsbar cassette spaced wrong? It said it was compatible with shimano. Please help.
    Lugged Steel Treks

Bling Bling Master!

I saw this on browns website.

Checkout his site for mix and match.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Florentine Pogen
    Checkout his site for mix and match.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html
    Agreed. This this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

No

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    Agreed. This this:
    If he is really using the setup he says he has, he does NOT need an alternate cable mount at the RD.If his shifters are DA rather than ultegra 8 speed, different story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Compatible

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds531
    I built up a touring bike for my wife and I can't get it to index shift. I'm using 8 speed Ultegra barcons, and Deore LX mega 9 rear derailleur, and an 8 speed Nashbar cassette. The shifters seem to move the derailleur too far. If I start on the smallest cog and start clicking the chain jumps two cogs after about the 4th or 5th click and reaches the largest Cog after only 6 clicks. The 7th click would push the derailleur and chain into the spokes. I thought that the 9 speed Deore LX was compatible with 8 speed shimano shifters. Is this the problem? Or is the Nahsbar cassette spaced wrong? It said it was compatible with shimano. Please help.
    If things are exactly as you say,it's compatible and you use the normal cable mount at the RD. You may have too much cable tension.That assumes everything is setup correctly,no cable or casing issues and the derailer hanger is not bent.

Unlabeled

Problem solved. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Coggs
    If things are exactly as you say,it's compatible and you use the normal cable mount at the RD. You may have too much cable tension.That assumes everything is setup correctly,no cable or casing issues and the derailer hanger is not bent.

The derailleur hanger was bent. This caused the derailleur to be rotated slightIy inward. I straightened the hanger and it works perfectly. It was only twisted a little bit, but it really screwed everything up. I'll order a new hanger since this one may be weakened.
    Lugged Steel Treks